Our Christmas Eve

Well, today was our "Christmas Eve" and it really was a fun filled day!

-Stockings got filled...the kids with little gifts and Bryan's, mine and Garett's simply held bags to keep their shape!:) How fun it was to fill two new stockings. A gal from our old church in CA made our stockings for us and I was able to find two that "fit right in" on Ebay last Christmas!)


-We took a slow, cold walk around the block...it felt good to get out for some fresh air! Tomorrow, we are praying the forecast holds true and we will see 4 inches of snow filling the air!

-We read some books....Paul read "The Charlie Brown Christmas" to the kids and before bedtime we spent some time reading "What God Wants for Christmas" and opening the boxes as the birth of Jesus unfolded.


-And we had our first ever Ethiopian dinner without any Ethiopians in the kitchen to help!:)Samuel did come in a few times and encourage Michelle and I that it smelled really good, though!:) We made Alecha (cabbage, carrots, potatos and onion veggie dish), sega wat (beef "stew"), shiro wat (not exactly sure how to describe it :)) and we tried to make Ethiopian lentils for the first time with a recipe off of the internet...we were not too impressed with the result...but Samuel and Caleb seemed to be! All in all, it was a valiant first effort and I feel a little bit more comfortable trying it all by myself next time! Everyone ate the meal...including my Dad...which I know was very "stretching" for him and blessed all of our hearts! My kids sure have a wonderful Papa!



-I don't know about you, but one of my most special memories each Christmas Day was getting up and seeing all the presents finally under the tree and our stockings laid out. What was special to me then has been replaced by other special moments...but I have 6 kids who I know will light up to see it all in front of them tomorrow morning...so out it all came and under the tree it went! Can't wait to celebrate!!!

"Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of a great joy that will be for all the people. For unto you is born this day...a Savior, who is Christ the Lord." Luke 2:10-11

Comments

Ruth said…
I'm so glad you got to spend Christmas with your folks! I'm sorry you ended up with Strep...I'm on antibiotics again...bad asthmatic attack, led to more...had to have an x-ray today and on lots of steroids!
Miss you...Happy New Year!!

We have snow here too...maybe 2-3" So drive safely when you do come back!!
For His Glory said…
I bet the boys were just thrilled to wake up Christmas morning! (Do they even celebrate Christmas in Ethiopia?)
Clark Family said…
I love the fact that you have a stocking for Garrett!! I am always trying to find ways to remind Keanna, Lukas, and Koda that they have a brother and sister they never met. I think I will now be making two extra stockings for next year. In 17 minutes the new year will begin, but more important to me, it will be Isaac's third birthday. I cherish these times to remember the little lives we never knew and want my children to regularly be reminded that God is good in their lives and in Isaac and Daisy's deaths. So next year, Lord willing, we will have eight Christmas stockings.