Packing, Pondering and Purposing


Packing: I officially packed up 20 boxes of "stuff" yesterday,ranging from kitchenware to books to games. It took a really long time, yet you can barely see any of the fruit of my labor as most of it was stored behind cabinets and in drawers. Still, it feels good to have weeded out things and know that I have made a small step that, together with other small steps, will culminate in a packed house by the end of January!:)

Pondering: At one point in my packing process, Samuel started asking me how to spell certain words. I was pretty distracted and did not think much about the words he was asking me to spell as I gave him the letters to write down. It all made perfect sense when I walked into the boy's room to check on the Caleb's bed. Caleb had an "accident" Saturday night and on Sunday Samuel was given the job of making up Caleb's bed once his sheets were cleaned. He went above and beyond and my heart overflowed (not to mention, this is the first real "note" he has ever written):
He got me pondering and God used that pondering to remind me of my purpose...

Purposing: Right now, it's really easy to forget my main purpose. There is so much to distract between thoughts of moving, preparing for Jesus' Birthday and just the day to day managing of a home of 8. Carolyn Mahaney said it this way:

"If we are distracted by projects or pleasure, we may miss valuable teaching moments, opportunities to encourage, disobedience that requires discipline, or a chance to show affection. These moments, once lost, are gone forever."
Even in this extra busy season of my life, my purpose has not changed. It is still to glorify God by loving my husband and my children and being a keeper of my home. But, I'll be honest, the spirit is willing and my flesh is oh so weak. Praise God for His Word and it's life-sustaining truths...for His power that is perfected in my weakness, for His grace that is sufficient in all things...and praise the Lord for godly examples and the wisdom of dear saints who have gone before me. Elisabeth Elliot said the following about her mom and my prayer is that I follow in her footsteps too:

"Called to be a mother, entrusted with the holy task of cooperating with God in shaping the destinies of six people, she knew it was too heavy a burden to carry alone. She did not try. She went to Him whose name is Wonderful Counselor, Everlasting Father. She asked His help."

Comments

For His Glory said…
WOW! that's impressive~20 boxes! And the note was just precious, that must of made your heart smile real big :)
Anonymous said…
Oh, that note is so precious! That is a keepsake that needs to go in a box! :o)
Jill
Merry Christmas Eve Sweet Sister!! I just now had the chance to catch up on quite a few of your posts, and it was wonderful to hear all that you have been wrestling with and learning.

I definitely need the reminder to keep the Lord my focus and glorifying Him my purpose in this busy time! I hope you are all having a wonderful Christmas. Love you!

ps...the note was just precious!!