Building our Homes


This morning in Bible Study, the gal who heads it up shared a great verse with us...along with some thoughts, that really got me thinking.

"Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over a city, the watchman stays awake in vain." Psalm 127:1

We are each building our homes. We don't do it alone...our husbands are the "head"...but God has given us the job of "manager"(I Tim. 5:14). What an amazing job we have! What a gift we have been given. Our own little "kingdom" for God's glory. God has seen fit, in spite of us...in spite of our selfishness, our flesh, our moments of anger, our harsh words, our unkind responses, our inadequacy...to bless us with the gift of a family!

I think it's so easy to focus on the responsibility (and, believe me, I know what a huge responsibility it is!) that we forget that it is a gift from God. Our "job" as a wife and mother comes straight from the hands of an infinitely wise and amazing boss...God Himself!

And He has made us managers...not of McDonald's or Dairy Queen (though Dairy Queen might be kind of fun!:) )....He has put us in charge of SOULS! That is an overwhelming thought were it not for the fact that He provides us with every resource necessary to accomplish the job He has given us...strength for our weakness (2 Cor. 12:9), adequacy for our inadequacy (2 Cor. 3:4-6), wisdom for our foolishness (Psalm 19:7).

I think I'll write more about "building our homes" and Psalm 127 tomorrow...but I couldn't help but start by reminding myself what an amazing gift I have been given in being a wife and a mom. And, to take time to examine my life and my priorities in light of my job. There are many "good things" that I could be doing...many "godly things" that would bless the lives of others...but that does not mean that, in this season of my life, they are part of my "job description" from the Lord. They may not all be the way that God has called me to "adorn the gospel" (Titus 2:10) for right now...and that is where I need to get lost in my own thoughts and contemplations...and I'll leave you to get lost in yours!

Comments

Kristin, thank you for posting that! It is SO easy for me to get overwhelmed in my responsibilities and I do forget what a gift my "job" is! What a refreshing reminder! Can't wait to read more of your thoughts!! :)
Thanks for reminding me of the verse, "Unless the Lord builds the house" ... yes, it's all in vain. And don't we sometimes have to learn the hard way. Thanks for the reminder!