Does the plan actually work?


"If at first you don't succeed...try, try again."

It's one of those quotes that I have heard so many times before...and, I was reminded this week in a book that I read, that it's actually a bit of faulty advice! Sure, we are called to persevere, we are called to run the race, we are called to repent when we sin and to pursue Christ...we are not called to be quitters...we are called to be conquerors in Christ Jesus. And, of course, all the "trying" we do must be done in HIS energy which He so powerfully works in us (Col. 1:29)!

Keeping all those things in perspective, it's also just as true that the reason we may not be "succeeding"...no matter how much we "try" is because our method just isn't all that great! Our well-thought out plans really aren't that swell! Our road to success turned out to be a trip to the dump.:) No matter how hard we may try to make things work they just won't until we tweak our plans or just change them all-together!

That, my friends, sums up the first full week of homeschooling!:) It has been a week of trial by error. Not only have the kids had to re-adjust to a world of math equations and cell formations and the many forms of punctuation but they have had to do so on an entirely new "set-up"...a computer that only responds to keys being tapped in just the right sequence and buttons being pushed AFTER the answer has been determined not BEFORE (the later will give you a big fat "0" on your assignment!). There is no erasing and starting over (although, I have this really cool feature on my "teacher program" that allows me to erase and change whatever I want...it is getting used quite often!:)).

From the way I am writing you must be thinking I am just kicking myself for trying something new and must be planning how to buy all the curriculum I have used in the past and mourn the money lost on 3 new computers. NOPE, not this crazy lady...though I'd be lying if I hadn't thought that several times this past week! Not to mention the several times I was half tempted to walk my clan over to George Greenway Elementary and introduce them to their new school!:)

What I am learning, in the midst of it all, is that having a plan is important but only if that plan actually works. And it's okay to say:

"Sorry guys, this just isn't working...let's pray that God will help us come up with something that will work."

"Sorry kids, Mom's idea was truly a terrible one...sorry that made your day harder...we are going to try to figure out something new."

"Your Dad is a really wise guy and I'm going to ask for his help and advice when he gets home!"

There has been a bit of starting and stopping this past week, of frustration and anger, of complaining and grumbling, of crying and wanting to quit, of being too tired to even try to find another "angle" or "solution", and a lot of sinful responses (I'll take 90% of those, sadly)...but there has also been a lot of learning and growing, of stretching and bearing, of mercy and grace, of forgiveness and wisdom, of hope and peace....because Christ power is perfected in weakness, He takes our cares and gives us His peace, He gives us new mercies every morning...He is faithful even when we are faithless!

All that said, today was a great day of school. Our "re-worked and then re-worked some more" plans, methods and schedules seem to be working well for my 6 kiddos. I want to give it some time, but hopefully I can share some of what we have learned this past week with you and maybe it will aid in your day as well!

"For this I toil, struggling with all his energy that he powerfully works within me."
Colossians 1:29


Comments

Jen L said…
Keep at it! Public School has its times too. It has been hard to get back in the schedule again. And then all the forms you need to fill out and the fundraiser comes home on the third day of school! My plan hasn't been going to well the last week either. I have been trying on my own strength, so thanks for the encouraging verses.
Ruth said…
You DO realize that this same "phenomenon" happens in "real" schools too!! :D I can't tell you how many classes I have had to re-tool! And don't even get me started about computers! I know that they were invented to make our lives "simpler"--but the learning curve can take years to perfect!

So DON'T be to discouraged...remember too that the only true way to learn is through "trial and error". If everything always went perfect, what are you truly learning?

Have a GREAT day! And keep on schooling those beautiful children God has blessed you with!!!

Love you much!
Nettie Hoyt said…
Our first few weeks with SOS was trying as well. It took us about a month, and now the boys just love it and we are on our third year using it. I will be praying that it is the same for you. Love to all.
PS Please email if you have any questions...
Amen, to the above comments from public school teachers. How many times I have experienced things like this as a public school teacher myself, with 25ish kids!! Yikes!! Truly... having to pray like crazy and rely on God's grace and mercy each day, from lesson to lesson!...(and then watch as He shows us blessings, as we continue to put another foot forward and keep walking the path He called us to, even when it's "agonizing"!!!) Oh...


Praying for you, sister!! (Even now!) ...And looking forward to the praises that you'll be sharing as the school year goes on! :)

Exciting!!
For His Glory said…
Wow, what encourements!! What you shared is just plain honest and transparent of how homeschooling can sometimes seem! I pray that God will truely show you what you need to be doing! PS Love the new look on the BLOG :) and so happy all is woring now...I was scared there for a minute :)

Oh and incase you decide to swith (ROD AND STAFF!! ROD AND STAFF!!) hee hee...Seriously though, SIMPLICITY and GOD SATURATED, I can not ask for more!! I have found my nitch...Check it out if you still continue to feel unsettled...But I do pray what you have really does fit the family!
I agree with you 100%, it sounds like you described our first couple days getting back into school. And what you said about it being God who powerfully works in us, what a great reminder of how I need to examine myself and make sure I'm glorifying God in how I act and respond.