Happy Birthday, Beloved!


We have spent the past week fighting the flu bug (think fever, not stomach!) and God saw fit to give it to Bryan over the weekend which spilled into Monday and now Tuesday, his birthday.

I was all excited to make him a big dinner with a turkey I got back at Christmas for spending too much money at the grocery store :)...but I have a feeling it's all gonna taste like mashed potatoes to him! Poor guy.

Sometimes "happy" isn't always how you are going to feel on your birthday, huh?!:)

Truth is, as Bryan's wife, today is a very happy day for me. It's one more year God has given me the sweet gift of being married to Bryan. One more year of loving, learning, crying, laughing, holding, cherishing, talking, snuggling, parenting, living....with Bryan.

Psalms says that all of our days are numbered before even one of them came to be. I know that each day is a gift and that tomorrow is not promised...but I am prone to forget. Prone to let one day give way to the next, forgetting to thank God for those that are most dear to me and to see each day for just how special it is. Birthdays often bring much reflection with it which leads to much thanksgiving.

But, when it comes to Bryan, I don't have to reflect too much on one day because I do a lot of reflecting throughout the year!:) How could I not when he is my other half? When God said the two become one, He couldn't have given a more beautiful picture. I can't imagine my life without Bryan because without him I don't feel complete.

The beginning of January, R.C. Sproul Jr. shared some precious thoughts through his blog on the death of his wife. What he shared about the "one flesh" relationship was beautifully true:

"The Bible says that husbands and wives are one flesh. Christian marriage pundits turn this too into “Be nice to each other.” That is, we are told about the importance of open communication. We are encouraged to be as concerned for our spouse as we are for ourselves. We, in rephrasing what God has said so that we might understand it, end up further from the truth. We are not commanded to live as if we were one flesh. Instead we are told that such is the actual truth. The one-flesh reality means that I haven’t just lost the love of my life, but half of me. How could I recognize me, when I am now only half the man I once was? It isn’t quite accurate to say that when she drew her last breath a part of me died. Instead, half of me died.

The good news, however, is the same. Half of me has died, and is with Jesus. Half of me has no melancholy, but only joy. Half of me cries no more. Half of me sins no more. Half of me loves me, and the children, with a perfect love. Mourning, over the coming weeks and months, will move to dancing, as this half of me begins to more deeply believe the blessings I have in my better half."


Happy Birthday, my better half. I pray God gives us many more years of "dancing in the minefields" together! I love you

Comments

It makes my heart sing to know how much you love my son ... and, the fact is he loves you the same in return. What a precious, precious gift from God!