Never Hidden by Clouds or Rain

"Then Jesus spoke to them again: "I am the light of the world. Anyone who follows Me will never walk in the darkness but will have the light of life." John 8:12

Oh, how I have missed the sunlight. I'm not kidding. I forgot how much rain the Vancouver area gets. In recent weeks, you can see me physically chasing after pockets of sunshine when we are out taking a walk. Or, if you were a fly on our wall, you might see me do strange things like sit awkwardly on the floor or arm of a chair or randomly lay in the middle of a room with my face extended to the single beam of light poking through the clouds. Call me Timothy Green....call me crazy....but I miss the sun!

Guess what? We had sun today and we have more of it for the next two days!!! I'm one happy girl! Sunlight is a sweet gift from the Lord and I am thankful for a couple straight days of it. But guess what has come with that beautiful light? A realization of what a bad housekeeper I have been. As long as I am looking at the sun, I feel warm and free. The second I look around me, all I can see is dust particles...EVERYWHERE...in the air, on my counter, and on the floor along with all the bread crumbs and who knows what else. The clouds kept my house a bit dim and kept me "in the dark" about just how dirty it actually was. The sunlight is a welcome friend, but it has also exposed my negligence.

I couldn't help but think of God's Word...of Jesus' words in John 3:19-21:

"This, then, is the judgement: the light has come into the world, and the people loved darkness rather than the light because their deeds were evil. For everyone who practices wicked things hates the light and avoids it, so that his deeds may not be exposed. But anyone who lives by the truth comes to the light, so that his works may be shown to be accomplished by God." 

Only God, through the Holy Spirit, can cause us to run to the light of His Word, the very light that exposes our sin and shows us our need for change, our need for Jesus. Only His children will actually run to that light....a light that yes, exposes our sin and shows us what needs to be repented of and cleaned out...but a light that also shines ever brighter in our hearts as we are changed more and more into the image of Jesus. It's a light that helps us know the character of our great God and His magnificent glory in the face of Jesus Christ!

"For God, who said, "Let shine shine out of darkness" - He has shown in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of God's glory in the face of Jesus Christ." 2 Corinthians 4:6

The rain and clouds are supposed to come back all next week, which means that, though my house will look a little bit cleaner :), I'll be missing the sun. But will you join me in rejoicing that the true Light, the Son that gives eternal life, can never be hidden by clouds or rain. We have but to open our Bible and, through the pages of Scripture, we see the face of Jesus, the Light of the world!

"Better a day in Your courts than a thousand anywhere else...For the Lord God is a sun and shield. The Lord gives grace and glory; He does not withhold the good from those who live in integrity. Lord of Hosts, happy is the person who trusts in You."  Psalm 84:10a, 11-12



Comments