Eternal Perspective Glasses...you gotta have 'em!

I've been thinking about glasses a lot lately.


Maybe some of it stems from the fact that I have been wearing my sunglasses more and the fact that I have to put them on my face brings joy to my heart. The sun is OUT!!! :) I came across Ecclesiastes 11:7  in my daily reading this week and it had me giggling over its truth. I think I'm gonna make a sign with that verse on it and hang it in our house. 


"Light is sweet, and it is pleasing for the eyes to see the sun." 

Anyway, back to where I was going. When I head out the door, as much as I am so thankful for the sun, I find the glare can be quite difficult. One website describes glare like this:  The sun’s rays reflect light in every direction, so when a ray hits a flat surface, the reflected light shines back at your eye and is magnified, causing glare...It reduces your depth perception, distorts your view and color perception, and can even temporarily blind you. 

Bryan convinced me last year to buy a nice pair of sunglasses. At first I balked at the idea of paying more than the $10 Walmart variety, but I finally heeded his wisdom and got myself a polarized pair of Oakleys. Wow. What a difference! My Walmart specials only reduced the brightness of what I was seeing, whereas my new lenses block the glare completely, helping me see the objects clearly while still letting a lot of light through. They are pretty fantastic! 

There is a type of "glasses", though, that cannot even compare to my Oakleys. I need them when I am inside, outside and anywhere in between.  I call them my "eternal perspective glasses" (EPG's for short). 2 Corinthians 4:18 describes it like this: 


"So we do not focus on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

The lens of these glasses, that we all need, is the Word of God by which our minds are renewed and transformed so that, as we face each new day and look around us, we see things from a Godward perspective. Instead of seeing people, we see souls. Instead of seeing chores, we see the good works that God has prepared beforehand that we should walk in. Instead of grasping for sight in the unknown, we see the grace of God in the moment at hand and walk by faith into the unknown, knowing His grace will meet us there, too. These glasses remove the glare that our flesh and sin love to place on everything. It brings clarity to our identity, purpose, and pursuits, and sends packing wrong perceptions, distorted views, and even the temporary blindness that our sin can create. 

The glare of life is real but so is eternity...and our great, sovereign God holds it all in His perfect hands. Do you see it? Has the light of His Word filled your heart and brought clarity to the path He has placed you on? Are you wearing your EPG's? 










Comments

Paul said…
Looks like the blog got an updated look, or am I just behind the times :) Hi sister. I love when you speak of anything from 2 Corinthians chapters 3-7. Truly one of my all time favorite passages! Thanks for this "eternal perspective" reminder sis!