Three Friendships We All Need

A couple of weeks ago I shared some of my thoughts on conversation. Amongst other things, I shared that there are two things that help me in making the most of my interactions with others: knowing my audience and asking good questions. I wrote about how to relate to three groups of friends: 1) grandmas or mothers in the faith 2) sisters in the faith and  3) daughters or "little sisters" in the faith.  These last two weeks I have been thinking more on "knowing my audience" and have found myself asking, "Who are the people in my life that I engage with on a regular basis and have most of my conversations with? Do I actually have friendships that span all three groups I wrote about?"

I am a huge fan of friendships. HUGE FAN! God did not create us to be little islands living life on our own with "Jesus and Me" as our motto. When He saved us, He placed us into His family and we became part of the bride of Christ...His church. The church is made up of many members who all work together to bring glory to God and do so by living out the one anothers in each others' lives. It's a beautiful thing to see a church body functioning at optimal health. And it's a beautiful thing to have friendships that span generations, spurring you on to Christ-likeness as they link arms with you and tell you about God's faithfulness in their lives, heralding the message of grace throughout decades of life! Times with these precious ladies can make my heart feel like it's grown wings and is soaring on His steadfast love to all generations!

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about how we should interact with each other, specifically looking at three groups of women. This time, I'd like to take another look at those same groups of women but share why we should intentionally pursue all three types of friendships in our local church or Christian community. I use the words "intentionally pursue" because these relationships might take some extra effort to get started but will truly reap a sweet harvest!

1) A "grandma" in the faith. This is a woman who can echo the words of David in Psalm 37:25 "I have been young and now I am old, yet I have not seen the righteous abandoned or his children begging for bread." She is a woman who can help you see beyond your immediate circumstances because she proclaims God's power and strength not just through moments, but years and decades, enabling you to see the faithfulness of God that kept her and will also keep you. She shows us in both word and deed that even though her flesh and heart may be failing, the Lord is the strength of her heart and her portion forever. She lives out Psalm 119:11 "I have your decrees as a heritage forever; indeed, they are the joy of my heart." This is a joy you don't want to miss out on!

2) A "mother" in the faith. Just as you needed your physical mom to give you life and help you grow up, so too you need a spiritual mama to teach you words of life and help you grow up in Christ. Maybe you, like me, have the immeasurable blessing of a mom who has imparted words of life to your soul from the moment you were born. Oh, how I praise the Lord for the precious, godly mama He has given me. But whether you do or you don't, this is another relationship worth forging. These women (as well as the grandmas) can teach us all how to better "love their husbands and to love their children, to be self-controlled, pure workers at home, kind, and in submission to their husbands, so that God's Word will not be slandered."(Titus 2:4-5) We need these ladies in our lives who will teach us the way of wisdom and guide us on straight paths so that our walking and running will not be hindered and we will not stumble (Proverbs 4:11-12). Not to mention that their practical help in areas like cooking, cleaning and child-rearing can be invaluable, if we would just ask!

3) A "daughter" or "little sister" in the faith. This is a gal that is younger than you...maybe by many years or maybe by just enough years to place you in different seasons of life. What a sweet opportunity we have to link arms with them and encourage them to "love the Lord your God and worship Him with all your heart and all your soul." (Deut. 11:13) And we can do this with them in so many ways, at so many times...a coffee date, an invite to hang out at our house, making dinner together, a walk, and about a zillion other things that we can include them in as we go about our daily lives. As they watch and listen, may they learn from our lives that David's words are true for us, as well: "Lord, you are my portion and my cup of blessing; you hold my future. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance." (Psalm 16:5-6) Of course for some of you, aside from your "peer group", these are the only women left for you to pursue purposeful relationships with. You are the "grandmas" I have been talking about. Would you please pursue us? Would you please seek us out and pour some of your extra time into us? We need you!

Developing relationships with those that are relatively our own age, in a similar season of life is usually not that difficult. And those friendships can be some of the dearest relationships this side of Heaven. But may we not stop there. May we go beyond what is comfortable and search out new relationships...specifically three relationships that will stretch us, grow us, comfort us, encourage us, teach us, and unearth treasures we never knew existed! Grandmas, moms and daughters in the faith...all spurring one another on to love and good deeds while proclaiming His faithful love to all generations. These are three types of friendships we all need!


Comments