A Christmas Eve Contemplation

At our Christmas Eve Service tonight a gal sang a song that contained this phrase:"God predestined that His Son would die...His death was all in His (God's) plan." Christ's suffering was a part of the glorious redemption that purchased our salvation, appeased God's wrath and gives us a reason to celebrate with great joy tomorrow and every day. His suffering was not just "by chance."

There was also suffering involved for Mary (and Joseph) although they held the greatest of privileges. The scoffing and scorn of those who knew them, the long journey to Bethlehem, the delivery of Jesus in a barn...without the help of a mom, mid-wife or any type of real comfort (can you even imagine????). Yet Mary didn't hesitate to say, "let it be to me according to Your word" and praised the Lord in the "magnificat" (found in Luke 1:46-55) where she started it by saying, "My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior."

God calls each of us to suffer, too. It is actually a part of His plan for our good! "And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, Who has called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you." (1 Peter 5:10) So, whatever you are facing this Christmas that might be causing you to fight for joy (and I have my fair share of fights too!), let's follow Mary's lead and ask God for a heart that says, "Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to Your word."

Comments