Glad I Watched the News

I was watching the news last night and was struck by one of the stories that was highlighted. The Greyhound bus system in Portland, Oregon was at a standstill and, as a result, many travelers were stuck without any place to go. To top it all off, there was no heat in the main terminal which is where everyone was staying for the night. I had watched the clip the night before last and thought to myself, "Oh, how awful for those people" very thankful to not be in their shoes myself.
Another family actually did something about it. They went out and bought lunch food and went to the terminal and made sandwiches for the stranded travelers. When the husband was interviewed he said through literal tears that how could they NOT do something!
I was amazed and humbled all at the same time. How many times, as a believer, have I had the opportunity to show the love of Christ, to be salt and light, to meet the needs of the poor and destitute and I don't even THINK about it, let alone do something. It's been too many times.
I don't know whether that family claimed Jesus as their Savior, but I do know that their actions should be ours. When we are meet the needs of those in need the Bible actually says we are honoring our Maker (Proverbs 14:31).
My prayer is that the Lord would help me to be more "others focused." That He would prick my conscience and give me a kick in the pants towards love and good deeds! That I would follow in Jesus' footsteps Who came not to be served but to serve and to give His life a ransom for many (Matt. 20:28).
So, for the first time in a while, I was actually glad I had watched the news!

Comments