Purpose..without the S!

"The Lord will fulfill His purpose for me; Your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever. Do not forsake the work of Your hands." Psalm 138:8

"...My counsel shall stand and I will accomplish all my purpose." Isaiah 46:10

"Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand."
Proverbs 19:21

Our plan and desire was to see our dossier on it's way to Ethiopia before Christmas. That is not God's plan! We are still not able to get our home study approved and right now the outcome rests in the hand's of our local Superior Court judge. We are praying that she will help clear up this situation by the end of the day tomorrow (the court takes a break for two weeks during Christmas) and, if not, we rest in the fact that it will happen in God's timing. We know that we will eventually be able to move forward with this adoption, it just might not be as quickly as we thought it would happen. I have spent much of today pouring my heart out to God and finding sweet peace and joy in His everlasting arms! I can echo Solomon's words when he said in Proverbs 13:12 "Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a desire fulfilled is a tree of life."

I also spent some time looking up the word "purpose" in the Bible ( I needed verses to be preaching to myself!!!)I was struck, anew, with the fact that every verse I looked up that talked about God's purposes for our lives was always in the singular form "purpose." God does not have multiple purposes for the things that He does...He has one purpose...to glorify Himself! On the other hand, I often have many purposes for what I do: to make myself happy, to please someone else, to accomplish a goal, to get what I want, to see things done in order and on schedule, etc... And while these purposes may not be wrong, in and of themselves, they often leave me feeling empty and sad when they are not accomplished. Why? Because I have failed to be singular in purpose: To glorify God and to delight in Him above all else!

So, while today was not easy, it ends with thankfulness to the God Who never changes, Who will accomplish all His purpose and Who calls you and me to Magnify His holy name above all else!

**** Click the "Desiring God" blog link to the left and read Piper's post for Dec. 18th "From Protest to Praise"....it was great and along the same lines of my thoughts today! ****

Comments