Bringing in the New Year with Ethiopian coffee


We started the New Year with a twist that we had never done before. David and Michelle bought us some Ethiopian coffee beans ( did you know that coffee beans originated in Ethiopia?) and today we had coffee Ethiopian style (or as close to it as we Americans will probably ever get!). The beans start out a very light color...I didn't know this, but that is actually how all coffee beans look in their original state. It is the roasting that makes them dark brown...and that was the next step...

Michelle spent quite a while roasting them over the stove...no oil or any other ingredients...just heat, a pan and the beans. ( I am in the background making scones :) )

It smelled something like popcorn as it was roasting....and then it started smelling more like burnt popcorn and was smoking a bit :) but the end result was coffee beans that could be ground and they smelled really good! Michelle and David ground them and then (after Michelle put in a phone call to her Ethiopian friend Bee for some quick advice...thanks Bee!!) placed some of the grounds in a pot of water, brought it to boiling for 2 minutes, strained the coffee to keep out the granules....and it was ready for drinking!
The taste was great. Not bitter at all. I am a flavored creamer kind of gal when it comes to drinking coffee, but I drank it black and enjoyed half of it that way! Then I added some sugar to it (which is the most common Ethiopian addition from what I have read and been told) and enjoyed the other half just as much.
So, I do believe we have added another new tradition to our family...one that I pray is a blessing to Samuel and Caleb as well!

Comments

For His Glory said…
How cool! Have a cup on me :)
Matt5verse6 said…
I had to go and make myself some coffee after reading that one. :) Of course my regular coffee is not Ethiopian (to my knowledge) but my Espresso beans are Ethiopian Harrar. :) So perhaps I should drink an Espresso to Samuel and Caleb. :) I can't wait to meet them!!! Infact I might have to make a special trip just to do so. :) Miss you and love you lots!!!

For His glory,
Brook