A Home Schooling Moment


As I stepped back into the routine of life today (homeschooling, more laundry than I knew what to do with, needing to go to the grocery store..but scrounging for food instead!), I'll be honest, I felt a little overwhelmed and ready for vacation again...and who really needs to go to school anyway :)
I was really fighting the " I can't home school, what am I thinking...this is too hard and my headache has returned...I just want some peace and quiet....they are never going to learn all they need to with me as their teacher...and we are adding two more kids to this equation....HELP LORD" (okay, I think I'll stop as I am sure you are getting the point :) ). I wish I could say these are thoughts that rarely enter my mind...but I fight them more often than I would like to admit. Truth be told, there are many times I feel like homeschooling is an "interruption" and an "unpleasant thing" that I wish I didn't have to deal with. In comes C.S. Lewis with some words of wisdom:

"The great thing, if one can, is to stop regarding all the unpleasant things as interruptions of one's 'own,' or 'real' life. The truth is of course that what one calls the interruptions are precisely one's real life - the life God is sending one day by day; what one calls one's 'real life' is a phantom of one's own imagination. This at least is what I see at the moments of insight; but it's hard to remember it all the time."

At this point, you might be thinking...you crazy woman...put your kids in school then!!! I can't :) As overwhelming as some days are, I believe with all my heart (though I often fight against it with all my heart) that this is exactly what God is calling our family to for right now. Please note: I said our family...not yours. God's plan and calling for each of us is not the same...and He will make His plan clear to you (whether it be home school, private school or public school) and He will walk you down that path whether you go kicking and screaming or with great joy and
anticipation! :)
So, the lesson for me today is that their are no "interruptions" just divine appointments given to me by a loving Savior Who knows what I need most to be like Him! Francis De Sales sums it up beautifully, so I will end with a quote from him:

"Accept His will entirely, and never suppose that you could serve Him better in any other way. You can never serve Him well, save in the way He chooses."

Comments

Matt5verse6 said…
Fabulous post! I'm thankful God placed it on your heart to share this. I have to say, I love your blog b/c even though you are somewhere around 680.19 miles away (11 hours 39 minutes) I feel as though I am still able to sit down with you each day or every few days and know your heart...your struggles, your fears, your triumphs, your praises. I so enjoy having you in my life and I am thankful to God He has kept you there. :)

For His glory,
Brook
For His Glory said…
I was just going to say some of the same things that Brook just said...Thank you for sharing your heart and being transparent...These are the truths that set us free!! I appreciate knowing we as mom's are all walking this road of "motherhood" together and need to open up about these things so we can know how to pray for eachother and encourage one another and build eachother up! You just built me up, by sharing your struggle, realization, and plan of action! Love you
Holly said…
Great post Kristin. But I must say...you looked like one of the kids in your picture! I had to enlarge it to see if it was Grace or Faith...and to my suprise....it was YOU! hahaha! Looks like you guys had an amazing time over Christmas with ALL your family. Can't wait to finally see you guys this summer!
sbenedetti said…
I'm so thankful for your thoughts.