It was a great day, indeed!


"Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him."
Proverbs 13:24

Sadly, in light of the verse, this past week has been full of "hating" my children and, in return, I have not been their biggest fan either...I am sure! Sometimes I did not spank out of wanting to show grace, other times it was pure laziness and then there were times I just could not even figure out exactly what had happened and who the culprits were and, after asking multiple questions, I was more confused than when I started! No matter what excuse I try to give it, my "sparing the rod" was really disobedience to God and His plan. And, boy, did we all pay the price....the selfishness grew in all of us, we were quick to anger with each other, the arguing was at an all time high...it was not a pretty sight on many occasions...the fruit of the Spirit had turned very rotten!

In comes the Holy Spirit's conviction and the beautiful wisdom of God found in His Word!!! And, as a result, the conversation at the table this morning with the kids went something like this:
"Have we been living in a way that honors and glorifies God and receives His blessing?" (N0)
"There has been a lot of foolishness in our home and what does God say is the way to drive that foolishness far from us" ( their eyes betray that they don't want to tell me...but then they boldly speak up and say, "Spankings")
"You see, the Bible says it's Mommy's job is to spank you when you disobey and, when I don't, I am disobeying God...and then I usually end up sinning more by yelling at you instead and getting frustrated." (They all nod their head in agreement!) Spanking is God's plan for you right now so that your foolishness can be removed and you can become wise. And when we follow God's plan, we will be a home that honors Him and loves each other the way we should."

I wish I could say the day went spanking free from that point on...but it was full of them, instead. It was also full of prayer, repentance, forgiveness, hugs and kisses, restored relationships and the sweet knowledge that we were doing it God's way and not our own. So, while it may not have been "spanking free," it was a great day, indeed!

Comments

sbenedetti said…
Thanks for the post of encouragement. Much needed!
Anonymous said…
Wow! I think I will share that with my kids! Mitchell understands the "spanking" thing, but our little stubborn Emily just doesn't get it and doesn't care! Thanks for the advice.
Matt5verse6 said…
I have to echo sbenedetti. I am thankful God placed it on your heart to share. It is a huge encouragement to me as I struggle with one of my older children whose rebellious heart is causing quite a ruckus!!!
For His Glory said…
Awe yes...I was just telling my son to be thankful for spankings...and he looked at me rolling his eyes and said "mom are you serious? That doesn't make sense." (I had to hide my face from laughing) but we talked about how left to himself he would be a mess and on his way to destruction if mom allowed his sin and disobedience to fester within his heart...It starts with us as parents first being obedient to God's Word in regards to our children and His Word tells us exactly how to deal with children! We have no excuses :)...
Anonymous said…
I recently read the greatest book called, "Don't Make Me Count To Three" by Ginger Plowman. It is SO GOOD! It is all about getting to our child's heart in their disobedience/attitudes, etc., and displining - exhorting, punishing, and explaining what attitude they need to put on. It is a very Biblical approach.

I have seen it work wonders at my home and with our adopted girls.

By the way, thanks for your note on my blog!
Lori, "Don't make me count to three" is one of my favorites...Have you read her second book, "Heaven at Home" ? It's GREAT too!!!