Purposeful and Expectant

For those of you who know me, I am not typically known for being a woman of few words :), but I can sum up my resolutions for this year in two words: purposeful and expectant. Of course, I can't define what I mean by those words without using a lot of words, so here goes:

Purposeful: I want to be a woman of purpose and plan. I don't just want to get dragged along as life flies by, I want to live in a way that leads the charge...planning times of prayer with my children, looking at my calender and making plans to have families over before the days are gone or the calender is all filled up with "other things", being purposeful in my conversations...already having question thought out in my head to be able to ask those that I am around in order to spark true depth and spiritual talk, setting up a schedule for my family life, not so that we can live legalistically, but so that we can "walk as wise, making the best use of our time", and planning opportunities to serve others...whether it be a card of encouragement, a visit to a nursing home or a meal to someone who needs one. The Bible sets out a beautiful example of a godly woman in Proverbs 31. Read it with the word "purposeful" in mind and I think you will agree that it is a word that we should be known for!

Expectant: I have desired to be purposeful for some time now...but this word "expectant" is the new word for the year 2009. A girlfriend made a journal for me for Christmas and I decided to use it as our families prayer journal. Everyday this week we have been writing down prayer request (as they are made known to us) and praying for them each morning. ( I wish I could say we have been doing this all along...but this is the first Pichura family prayer journal.) I have noticed the most precious blessing coming out of this time of prayer.... a sweet expectancy as we wait to see what God is going to do...how He is going to work...what His answer is going to be. The kids and I are more excited about the lives and people we are praying for, more concerned for their needs. And with each answer that has come: a job, a successful surgery, a letter arriving, a pregnancy...it has blessed my heart to see the look of joy on my kids face as they recognize that God is at work and praise Him for what He is doing!

Purposeful and Expectant...that is the way I want to live everyday!

And, speaking of waiting expectantly...our social worker received the "letter of approval" from the superior judge today.Praise the Lord...one step closer to Ethiopia and our boys!

Comments

For His Glory said…
What an encouragement to see this post..As I too have been feeling the need to be more purposeful and expectant:)...Thank you for the words of encouragement and boost through sharing your own goals in your family...We too have started a prayer journal...A Family one and then I have my own personal journal to consistently ask my hubby and kids (and girlfriends) how I can be praying for them and then like you said, to "expectantly" wait and see how God works in these lives...Also something we started doing in our family worship is taking two or three new words or terms that come up in the Bible and focusing on them through the week. So like this week our words are "iniquities", "aliens" or " alienated" and "misery" or "miserable". So we'll quiz the kids each night for that week...I love how God constantly grows us and gives us seasons of new ideas, it's okay that we didn't do this before because most likely He had us growing in some other area(s)!!
Anonymous said…
Congratulations that you received your letter of approval!!
Matt5verse6 said…
Where did you go? It's been days (5) since you posted last.
We have been gone the last couple of days at a leaders retreat...sorry about the lack of posts :) I'll be back at it now :)
Wendy...thanks for that idea about the words...I really like it!