To Fundraising and Beyond!

Today I went to a fundraiser meeting...a fundraiser for us :). There is going to be a Potato Feed/Silent Auction/Bake Sale on March 7 to help with the final $10,000 needed for the completion of the adoption. My heart is full to the brim for these dear sisters in Christ who are working so hard to get this fundraiser off the ground. And there are so many others, some who I don't even know, who are giving quilts, desserts and other items to sell and auction off. Not everyone may be called to adopt, but it is a joy to see fellow believers use the gifts and resources God has given them answer the call to help the orphan. It's been beautiful, humbling and has given me much to treasure and to ponder on. As I watch God at work in ways I couldn't have planned or expected, I feel I understand a little more what Mary may have felt (as she watched the Shepherd's come and worship Jesus) in Luke 2:19, "But Mary kept all these things and pondered them in her heart."

We have been asked to share a testimony about the whole adoption process, what God is doing and how His call has impacted our lives forever. I was more than pleased to pass the responsibility of sharing right on to my husband...I just figured I come up to the front, smile, wave, introduce myself and the kids and then go sit back down :) I am not sure the Lord is going to make it that easy for me...I think it might be good for me to share for a minute from the perspective of a wife and mom. I thought I would do a "test run" on my blog :)

I have never looked at this adoption as somehow completing our family...as if there is some missing piece to the puzzle we call "The Pichura Family". Our life really is FULL!!! If you have ever visited us for any length of time you know that life in our home is pretty busy, pretty constant and maybe a bit crazy too! To be honest, the thought of adding two more children (who don't even speak English!) to our family is, at times, an overwhelming thought.

You see, we are not adopting Samuel and Caleb to make our family complete, we are adopting them because we believe, with all our hearts, God is calling us to do so...and the thought of living outside His will and not obeying His leading is just not an option (we deal with the consequences of our sin far to much as it is!). Now, don't get me wrong, adopting them, just like anytime we truly obey, is in no way a duty but true delight! And the love that He has put in our hearts for those precious boys...boys we have not even met yet....is amazing!

I do not expect the task to be easy. It will require much sacrifice for both of us. And I have a feeling that thoughts of the comfort and ease I am not experiencing might lead me quickly to bitterness or resentment or at least some frustration. But I forget often that the Lord doesn't call believers to a life of ease and comfort. Not only should we not expect it but we shouldn't aim for it as a goal (I know, I know...everyone needs rest...but I hope you are getting my point). Paul compares this life we live to a farmer (not much rest for him), a soldier (always prepared, always ready to fight...not concerned with trivial matters) and a runner (I have yet to see "easy chairs" on the track!). Our "rest" is awaiting us in eternity...but for now, there is work to be done!

I want to stop believing the lies the world throws at me that I deserve this and that (etc...) and instead, cling to the promises of Christ when he says that in this world we will have trials and tribulation but we can take heart because the victory is already won (we never have to live defeated!), that what God calls you to, He will give you the grace and strength to see it through and that we will reap a beautiful harvest if we do not grow weary and lose heart.

This life, those some days seem so long for me, is but a vapor...and I don't want to waste a minute of it!

P.S. Okay, so that was a bit longer than I planned and a bit more "preachy" than I care to be in a room full of MEN and women...so, I guess I have some condensing to do :) But, for those of you who stuck with this post all the way to the end... In the words of Jonathan Edwards, let's seek to "live every day as though it were our last"!

Comments

I thought this was a neat response to a question posed on "A Bushel and a Peck"...I thought it was fitting for what I was talking about:

I really do not know how God directs other families about adopting/adding children. I am sure He has many ways. For us, He has prompted us to consider many things:

Our fear is not an accurate indicator of God’s will for us.

Finances (or rather, lack of) can be overcome by God. (Do not read: God will send all funds; read: God will enable us to make all sacrifices necessary.)

God is okay with weak, unlikely vessels of service.

Do our concerns in this issue reflect God’s concerns (as stated in His Word), or do they reflect concerns of the world around us?

It is okay for others to disagree with us.

Just because I cannot handle more today, does not mean I will not be able to handle more tomorrow.

Hard is not wrong!

Risk-taking and hardship are often the shortest route to GREAT BLESSING!
Holly said…
Kristin, I wouldn't take out a single word! All you are doing is sharing from your heart and what God has laid on your heart through this whole thing. It doesn't matter who's there...what you have to say needs to be shared.
The Nanny said…
There are two points that I particularly love ... "Our fear is not an accurate indicator of God's will for us." and "Just because I cannot handle more today, does not mean I will not be able to handle more tomorrow." I will be adding those to the list of quotes I have. Thank you for sharing your hearts. And Kristin, I wouldn't shorten your part in your testimony too much. It was all from your heart, and to share it with others would be a blessing to those that hear it!
Matt5verse6 said…
As soon as the weather is nice again I will be doing a garage sale to help raise money. :) I have lots of stuff in bags and ready and found someone else with whom to garage sale. :) So, I haven't forgotten...the weather (in my opinion) just hasn't been nice enough yet. But, I'm hopeful it will be soon. :)

Can't wait to meet the boys!!! :) They are on my mind often...and I know yours as well. :)

Much love!
For His Glory said…
Hopefully this whole adoption process will spur others who God may call to adopt especially when they hear you speak of normal people who do have normal fears and normal crazy, busy, lives adopting!! God's Grace is always suffucient! Make sure to video camra!!