Waiting on the Lord

"Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and grow weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint." Isaiah 40:28-31

We received an email on Friday that court dates in Ethiopia are taking longer than usual...10 weeks. Then, once that court date takes place we will be given a date to appear at the Embassy...another 5 weeks later. So, doing the math quickly: 15 weeks. It's a number that is much higher than we thought it would be...but right now, it's the number God is giving us (roughly). At the moment it looks like we will not be going to Ethiopia until the very end of April/beginning of May. We rejoice in God's timing and trust His unsearchable ways.

Today, I was reading in Genesis about Joseph. After being thrown in prison (for a crime he did not commit) and spending enough time there to be given charge of the "inmates"... he must have gotten excited at the thought of getting out when, by God's grace, he helped a fellow inmate, the cup bearer of Pharaoh, figure out his dream. But the cup bearer forgot about Joseph when he was restored to his position. That "oversight" costs Joseph two more years in prison. But, with God, there are no "oversights" or "bad luck". Joseph remained in prison for his good and God's glory and the salvation of the fledgling nation, Israel, as well as all of Egypt.
In the scope of life and eternity our wait right now is small and is, at the heart of it, an issue of obedience. Do we trust God? Do we really trust His plan? I pray that our attitude would daily reflect a joy and trust in the sovereignty of God!

Comments

Matt5verse6 said…
Proverbs 16:9: "The mind of man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps."

I'll be praying. :)
For His Glory said…
So simple a verse Brook, but sooo profound!! This seems to be the part where you just sit and "Be still and know that I am God"...PS 47:10...I've been learning with our own adoption process not to put any dates in my head anymore or hope for any "time frame" that would seem ideal to me...My husband and I were just talking last night (we're going to veiw files today) that it seems rediculous that there are sooo many kids but no matches yet, but then we were reminded that what we are actually saying is, "God is rediculous"...As I look back, already I have seen God's gracious hand and am now simply thankful for what He is doing and when He is going to allow our adoption to take place...I am soo grateful He did not place us with children when I wanted them due to circumstances these past holidays that I did not forsee, but God did...I am learning that He sees the road ahead and He is "steering" us in the right direction until and if He chooses to continue us down this road...We are trying to be pro-active in the process and then step back and see God lead. It is such a beautiful feeling to dwell in the safety of the Almighty...I shared all that because I know how many times I got discouraged, and know how frustrating things can get...But if you can learn right away to "give thanks to God in all circumstances" you will be at peace and filled with joy as you journey this road God has brought you and Bryan to...I know you know all these truths and are probably already knowing in your heart to "give thanks", but I had a faithful friend remind me of the same things not too long ago and so I thougt I'd do so for her too :)...
Thanks, dear friends!!! Praying for you today, Wendy, as you guys go to look at files!