Adoption Update


I actually called today and spoke with my case manager, Aster. She is from Ethiopia and sounded just like Bea (our new Ethiopian friend from Seattle) and that was comforting right off the bat. Email is fantastic for many things...but it doesn't always do the best job of conveying feelings or personality, so I was so glad the Lord prompted me to call. I got a better understanding of Aster's care and concern for the situation with the boys and her diligence about trying to find out all she can for us. It was a real blessing.

I also learned a bit more that I wanted to share with you. The boy's mother's HIV test came back negative...she does not have AIDS. We rejoice greatly in that result. But it also makes things a little more difficult...both for us and for their mom. Aster said that this type of situation is not all that uncommon...it just takes more time and work to complete the adoption. The boy's mom is in the process of filing additional paperwork in hopes of getting a favorable response from the local government. This whole process falls almost solely on the mom (although the orphanage/CWA does all it can to help). My heart aches for this woman and yet it is amazing to see her resolve in seeing her sons adopted and seeking to do what it takes. Please pray with us for her salvation above all and that she will receive needed guidance and help as she navigates through paperwork and government officials. Please pray, too, for the official (s) that God would soften their hearts towards the boys and their mom and grant her petition to allow them to be adopted. And pray that we would daily fight against doubting God's promises and getting discouraged...I'd be lying if I didn't tell you that I have to preach the Word of God to my own heart everyday in regards to this adoption!

We originally thought we might have the boys home with us by May....but God's timing is proving to be far different :) Many of you have asked if we have any idea how long this could take in light of the new situation. Aster says that this whole situation right now could take another month to come to completion (whether it ends in Samuel and Caleb's adoption or another referral). Add that to the 2 1/2 months it is taking to get a court date and another 5 weeks till we could fly to Ethiopia and we are easily looking at July at the earliest. But, to be honest, we are not looking to the timetable as much as we are looking to God! Timetables will most certainly dissapppoint us and let us down... but God never will! :)

"And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not dissappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us." Romans 5:5

Comments

Anonymous said…
Kristin,
I was thinking as I was reading your post how long and hard God worked to finally adopt us!

I am definitely praying for you as you wait and work to trust and obey. Boy, can I relate.
For His Glory said…
Okay, well we'll see what God's will is here soon...Always an adventure when you are a child of the King!
I see God being gloried all over your posting.
Karen