How is your singing coming along?


"I waited patiently for the Lord; and He inclined to me and heard my cry. He brought me out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, and He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm.
He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God." Psalms 40:1-3

I love these verses. In fact, they are a "Seed's Song" that we love to sing as a family. What I never thought much about...that God impressed upon my heart the last couple of days... is that out of David's trial, out of the miry clay and the pit of destruction, came a NEW SONG of praise to the Lord.

Often our trials are God's loving way of refining us...purifying our hearts, removing the sin that so easily entangles and making us more like Him (I Peter 1:6-9). But trials, I believe, are also used to help us to behold God's glory in a way we couldn't and didn't before. Look at the plagues. God hardened Pharaoh's heart and proceeded to bring plagues on the Egyptians so that they "shall know that I am the Lord" (Exodus 7:5). The same was true with David when he faced Goliath. God led David to fight against Goliath so "that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel...and the battle is the Lords" (I Samuel 17:46-47).

Through our trials, however big or small, as we turn our eyes upon Jesus, attributes of His that were just head knowledge become embedded in our hearts and we can't help but fall deeper in love with Him. And the truths Paul prayed for the Ephesians become not just a prayer but a reality: "I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe" (Ephesians 1:18-19).

So, we are left realizing that, no matter how painful our trials may be at the time, we can truly obey the words of God through James: "Consider it all joy my brethern when you encounter various trails..." (James 1:2). And, as we come out on the other side, I think we really will find ourselves singing a NEW SONG of praise to our God!!!

Comments

For His Glory said…
If only I can find myself faithful of those truths every time a trial arises without a fuss! Good post Kristin!