I need some suggestions!!!


This week started out with Grace getting the flu and it raining hard all day long. The forecast says rain all week...and if the flu follows it's typical pattern in the Pichura house the forecast is also the flu all week too (or, as Bryan put it...there is a high chance of flying chunks all week...ew!!! :) ).
It also meant Grace's piano lesson being canceled, invites to our house for dinner being revoked :) and home school being postponed. It's amazing how quick a sickness can throw our whole routine off...and that was just Monday! :)
Okay...so here is where I need suggestions. As the day wore on ( which included extended play due to lack of school) and the weather was not permitting some outside fun , the kids started struggling to "find things to do". (The mean mom that I am would not let them watch cartoons, movies and play video games all day! :) ) Their hearts were not complaining...otherwise I might have been apt to give them some extra cleaning duties...but they genuinely wanted some real answers to their dilemma. The problem is, my brain doesn't think too creatively and I seem to always have the same answers...you can color, play a board game or go read a book. Today, I stepped out a little bit and pulled out the puzzles! :) I have been realizing for a while that I need a longer list...and hopefully your suggestions will help me and anyone else who's brain is wired like mine. So, PLEASE...comment away!

Comments

For His Glory said…
These may be obvious but here we go:
*Play dough
*forts/bunkbeds
*computer games PBSKIDS.org
*older child read to younger child
*legos
*special toy time only for rainy days
*sewing/hand sewing
*beading-boys and girls
*make pre-made cards for special occasions
*think of someone to bless and encourage by way of card or even email

I make my kids do one thing they choose for at least about 45 minutes and they have to learn to be content with what they choose for that time. I know what a meany...
Just thought i would comment on this one. I do read all the updates. Since spring is in the air maybe a craft or 2 about the blooming flowers that will come from the rain. A few movies and video games and cartoons won't hurt too much either. Love and miss you. Ash Wednesday is coming which means you can get out the Easter stuff, Resurrection Eggs and crafts that go with that as well. He is Risen and let the kids celebrate His Glory.
Anonymous said…
Do you have a bucket of wooden shapes? I have the shapes and then a book that you use the shapes to fill in the pictures. It is fun, but it is also teaching them. Like this: http://www.timberdoodle.com/Wooden_Pattern_Blocks_and_Pattern_Animals_Book_p/170-326.htm

As someone already said, it is fun to keep certain toys for use on days like that. Playdough is that for me. I hate the mess all the time!

Sorry about the flu!
Thank you all for your ideas...keep them coming!
I liked the idea about giving them an amount of time to have to do something for!
Also, Lori....I went to that website and it is sooo cool!!!!
I also found these books called "The never bored books" specific to each age group....they look great and got great reviews! I sense some Christmas money leaving our house this week! :)
Paul said…
Have them ransack the house and then tell them they have to clean it all up again - your brother :-)
Anonymous said…
My kids liked to bake cookies...I didn't always...but it was what we did when the weather wasn't that great! Now my "older" children look forward to rainy, dreary days...just so they can bake:)

These were also the days when the house became a theater for "shows" or "puppet shows" and musical concerts.

You know, I NEVER like rainy days...but my son LOVES them...maybe he remembers all the fun times he had! You never know what makes a great memory!

Hope you are all well REAL soon!
Anonymous said…
Cooking projects are always fun. Perhaps check out the Family Fun magazine website; they have wonderful, fun, easy projects and ideas. Or, how about having the kids write or make up a play and then act it out. I enjoyed the ideas others have give you. Love you all! Sue
Holly said…
I've only done this once, but it was really fun and they really enjoyed it....

I got them each a canvas, some acrylic paint and some of those foam brushes, and let them go at it! They painted whatever they wanted, mixed colors to make their own and in the end they had their own creation. You can keep it hung up for a while and when you have another yucky day, let them paint over it and make a new one. You can get most of the stuff super cheap at Wal-Mart. It was really fun!
Thanks guys for all the suggestions! From rainy days to canvas painting...there were some simple things mentioned and some more involved ones...perfect to suit each situation....Depending on whether I can play with the kiddos or need them to find something to do on their own!
I am going to have to ask for suggestions more often! :)