It's really all about God


Last night we just started a new series in Bible Study called "Gospel Christianity" by Tim Keller. I am so excited to be studying, in depth, truths that are becoming so dear to me (living GOSPEL daily) with my brothers and sisters in our church!
We listened to a clip by Tim Keller as an intro and he said many fantastic things but one thing he said was repeated (more or less :) ) in "The Jesus Story Book Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name" that I was reading to the kids today:

"But the Bible isn't mainly about you and what you should be doing. It's about God and what He has done."

It ended up being the perfect opportunity to share with the kids how even now, life is not all about us, it's all about God and what He is doing! It's not about what we want or think we need, it's all about "What will glorify God the most and make His name great."

The second part that I thought was neat is that the GOSPEL is all about what God has already DONE. Tim Keller said that the Bible is not (just) good advice, it is good news. It has already happened. There is nothing I can do to change it or even add to it! I can only respond to it! I pray that we all respond with the same heart the Psalmist had in Psalm 119: with delight, with wonder and with thanksgiving and praise!

And if you don't have The Jesus Storybook Bible that I listed above...please consider it a must have for your kids and order it NOW...see, I even made it easy for you...just click on NOW and your almost done :)

DISCLAIMER: Someone asked me if I had read the reviews about the book, both positive and negative. I did a couple of years back when I first bought this book...but I went to them again today. The reviews are fair...but overall I really do think the book is wonderful. One thing I have learned so far as a parent is that it is still my job to shepherd my kids and not leave that job to any book or video. So, as we read, we always talk about what we are reading and what is good or not good about it....and that includes Christian material as well because a little error mixed in with a lot of good is still error and can be hard to pick out in those contexts. Having said all that, I still think you will find the book to be a beautiful and unique look at how every story in the Bible whispers the name of Jesus Christ! Feel free to comment your thoughts, too!!! (They won't show up right away until they first go to my email...and then they will post...so keep the comments coming!)

Comments

Clark Family said…
Upon your recommendation we bought that book for Keanna last year. Like you said, there are times when we do have to modify the words or discuss what it says in the actualy Bible. But overall, we think it is good. Our favorite is the "Big Picture Story Bible." We have read through it multiple times. Every time, we find new little details in the pictures that have meaning.
For His Glory said…
oooh oooh I have another good one, I have never been so excited about any other children's Christian Story book as the one I am reading to the kids right now called, "BIG TRUTHS FOR LITTLE KIDS" by Susan Hunt...They are stories with the westiminster chatechism weaved in to each story...I want to buy it for like everyone I know who has kids-if I could afford to that is!! ITS THAT GOOD!
Thanks, Sumiko! I appreciate your comment :) I am actually going to post on the "Big Picture Story Book" too!