Rabbit Trail :)

I want to finish out part 3 of my "thoughts" from the weekend, but after yesterdays post, I thought this would be a good time to recommend a few more Pichura favorites :) Know that I am not speaking as the authority on all that is good for your children, but we strive to live out Deut. 6 about teaching our children the truths of God's Word in any and every opportunity that we can. We have come across some wonderful tools to aid us in our pursuit (both via music, book and DVD) and I thought I would throw a couple more out there for you. And, as always, feel free to comment...I am sure there is some great stuff out there that I don't even know about ( my girlfriend just recommended a book by Susan Hunt called "Big Truths for Little Kids" that I can't wait to purchase!) Also, I have tried to link every resource...so you can get more info by just clicking on the name.

Our hands down favorites of all the CD's we own are the 5 CD's that we have from "SEEDS:Family Worship". All 5 CD's (and, for those of you who don't know ...they just released a new one!) are chock full of Bible Verse after Bible Verse put to great music and great vocals. It has been a wonderful blessing to be memorizing God's Word together...wether we are riding in the car, have family devotions or doing our chores.

One of our other CD favorites is "Awesome God" by Sovereign Grace Ministries. One of my favorite things about this CD is that evey song teaches gospel truths. There is no fluff in these songs...life is too short to not get right down to what's important and I am so glad Sovereign Grace recognizes that! And the best part....this CD is on sale for $6 with free shipping (along with a boatload of other CD's and books by Sovereign Grace...if you want some suggestions on other material from them, I have a lot of favorites :) )!!!

If you are looking for some good movie night DVD's, "The Torchlighters: Heroes of the Faith" series is fantastic. The animated DVD's are short (30 min. with approx. 60 min. of extra background...which is really good!) but they share the beautiful stories of people in history who have given all for the cause of Christ. The series includes stories about: Eric Lidell, Gladys Aylward, William Tyndale, Jim Elliot, John Bunyan and William Wurmbrand (we have them all except the last one). They recommend the DVD's for ages 8-12, but we have found them to be wonderful even for Titus (but that is still a decision you have to make on behalf of your own child, of course!).

And another Bible Story Book that we appreciate both for content and for beautiful pictures is "The Big Picture Story Bible". The author and artist really do a great job of presenting the Bible as accurately as possible.

Well, that's it for today! :) Maybe I'll throw some grown up books in the mix next week! :)

Comments

Chrissy said…
We all Love the Sovereign Grace CD, I wish they would come out with another one for kids, and the Seeds are wonderful in helping with Memorization of Scripture....(me included)Somebody got them for the kids,she always buy's the best gifts :)
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the suggestions! We have the "Awesome God" cd too and the girls love it. We have read The Jesus Storybook and I loved the concept ot it. I will have to get those Seed CDs you were talking about.

Our issue with our girls is that their grasp of the English language isn't very extensive yet. But, just as you read to a preschooler, I know that after reading things over and over eventually it will soak in. :-) When I ask questions about what we read and hear their "re-telling" of it, I am often amused - sometimes horrified! That is why you have to keep at it when you are sitting, when you are standing, when you are walking in the way - right?

Thanks for the encouragement for ways to do that.
Lori, thanks for sharing what you did. It helps us to, even now, start thinking through the eyes of the kids the Lord is going to give us and ways in which we need to keep God's truth simple and continual! :)
Clark Family said…
We love the "Awesome God" CD as well. I often find Keanna singing the songs while playing and she loves to "dance" with her brothers to the music.

We really like the "Big Thoughts for Little Thinkers" series by Joey Allen. http://www.answersingenesis.org/PublicStore/product/Big-Thoughts-for-Little-Thinkers-Series-The,5287,183.aspx It inclues four books: The Gospel, The Scriptures, The Trinity, and The Mission. It does a great job of putting these complex ideas into kid vocabulary. Plus it has really cute illustrations. Keanna can "read" many of the pages based on the pictures.
Anonymous said…
One reason I loved the Jesus Storybook is because of the girls' reaction to it. Kalindi told me recently that she had heard of God, but that no one had ever told her about Jesus! That is the distinction of the Christian faith.

I have Big Truths for Little Kids and plan to start reading that to the girls. I love how interested they are in all things Jesus.

I bought Discovering Jesus in Genesis and Discovering Jesus in Exodus, but when I tried reading that to them it seemed beyond their comprehension right now.
I think they will be good for later. I love your blog!

Lori
For His Glory said…
Thanks!! I didn't realize Seeds came out with another CD Woo Hoo!!
Paul said…
SEEDS Rocks!! (being a former performer of the music) That's all I have to add...
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the ideas. I've actually been searching for some new things for children's church - so I am going to check all of these out!