Radically different

I am doing a new read through the Bible plan this year...a little bit from the OT, the Psalms, the Gospels and Acts. I love how so often, though reading in different books, it all ties together.
This verse has stuck out to me in past years and it did again this year (I think I should make it my life verse!)

Acts 20:24, "But I do not consider my life of any account as dear to myself, so that I may finish my course and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify solemnly of the gospel of the grace of God."

The only way to truly live in such a way that keeps the gospel at the forefront and the ministry God has called me to as a ministry of delight and not duty, is to get myself OUT of the way! To think opposite of what the world tells me. The world tells me I need my time, I need to feel appreciate, I am special, therefore I deserve. And yet, my beloved Savior lived so radically different.

When Jesus found out that John the Baptist had been beheaded (Mathew 14)...he sought to get away...to be by Himself. I can relate to that....it's what He did next that blows my mind. The crowds figured out where He was going (and, we are talking of possibly upwards of 20,000 people!) and they met Him where He was...and the Bible said He felt compassion for them and healed there sick (and He did this all day and then fed them all!). If you asked me, what He needed was rest, a break, time away, no demands...what He gave us all instead was an example to follow in. At the end of that same chapter it talks about Jesus going to Gennesaret and everyone coming from the surrounding districts to be healed...and even those who touched is cloak were cured. I can't imagine being surrounded by hundreds of people all pushing in, just trying to touch your clothes. Sometimes my sweet kids just placing their "quiet hand" on me while they wait for me can drive me nuts (even though that is exactly what they have been instructed to do)! Not to mention the fact that I think I would feel pretty "used". Yet, once again, Jesus gives us a beatiful example...a lived out testimony of Acts 20:24...He did not consider His life dear to Himself.

"I am crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me." (Galatians 2:20)

As I continue to ask God to mold my ever selfish heart into the heart of Christ, my prayer echoes the words of Betty Stam ( a missionary to the people of China who, along with her husband, was murdered in the 1930's by communists):

"Lord, I give up all my own plans and purposes, all my own desires and hopes, and accept Thy will for my life. I give myself, my time, my all, utterly to Thee to be Thine forever. Fill me and seal me with Thy Holy Spirit. Use me as Thou wilt, send me where Thou wilt, work out Thy whole will in my life at any cost, now and forever."

Comments

For His Glory said…
Wow, that was really good Kristin...It's sooo true about how we just need to have more compassion, that is an area I really lack in But so want to grow in...I read something by Spurgeon last night about when we are in the midst of people whether it be our family, husband, public, neighbors, whoever; Do they walk away from us feeling like they've just been with Jesus (some obviously not knowing it, but seeing something so divinely different and sweet)...I was sooo convicted and did some major repentance because I know most of the time they are seeing more of "ME"...my family that is...It seems so easy to show Jesus to anyone else outside my home...I really want my children and husband to feel as if they've just been with Jesus because of my attitude towards them...Thankfully with God's grace I have so much hope to model Jesus in a better way to my family...
Than, lady! What you are saying is so true!!! Bryan shared in a message a while ago that if someone were to think our thoughts, act the way we act and say what we say...would they be more like Christ at the end of the day or more like the world?!!! Very convicting too!