Sweet Fruit from Last Weekend


I wanted to finish sharing my "Thoughts from the weekend" by sharing some of the sweet fruit that came out of it with my own son. And, I continue to praise the Lord that He opened my eyes to see right to the heart of his statement (I believe, in large part, to the truths I had just been hearing and meditating on myself) or who knows how shallow my answer may have been and how hopeless he still would be feeling right now. Let me also say that both Bryan and I have seen big changes in Micah this past year and we really do believe that God has given him a new heart and he is truly a child of the King!

Micah came to me on Monday and I could just tell he was so discouraged. The conversation went something like this:
He said, "Mom, some days I think God has saved me and other days and am not sure if I am saved".
I responded, "Micah, is it because some days you feel like you are doing a really good job obeying God and other days you feel like you just keeping sinning and sinning?" Micah nodded his head in affirmation.
I continued by asking him if he felt like God was angry with him and not happy with him for his disobedience. His head dropped even more and he said, "Yes".
This is when I got to preach sweet gospel truth to him! "Micah, God is not angry with you! He knows you are not going to obey all the time...or even a lot of the time some days...and that is why He sent Jesus to die and take all the anger from God that you deserved, so that you may be covered in Jesus' perfectness. When God looks at you, Micah James, He sees Jesus and that pleases God very much!
My son's eyes literally filled with tears and he hugged me fiercely. He got it...and it freed his little heart and I could see it as clear as day. And I realized in that moment that I was starting to truly get it, too...understanding more and more the beauty of Christ's death and resurrection and how those Gospel truths dispel fear, transform motivation for obeying from often being duty into genuine delight- out of love for so great a Savior and how these precious truths cause sin to seem less and less pleasurable in light of such an infinite pleasure as Jesus!

Comments

Michelle P said…
Kristin,
It is such a precious thing to hear of my nephew really "getting" the Gospel...it brings me to tears!! I'm so thankful God is showing His love to him, and that he has a Mommy and Daddy that love him enough to shepherd his heart. :) Thanks so much for sharing. Love you guys!
David said…
That's awesome, thanks for sharing!
Paul said…
Sweetness Kristin, what a joy for you to share that conversation with us all. I felt like I was in the room listening :-) And so true, what a joy the Gospel brings!
For His Glory said…
That is sooo beautiful...I so miss his little sweet spirit, and teaching hime in my Sunday school class and having him ask questions when we are reading the Bible like "Mrs.(****) what does it mean when it says that Mary and Joseph didn't have sexual relations?
Matt5verse6 said…
That was precious! I'm thankful God placed it on your heart to share. It gives me hope and encourages me to press on. :) Thanks dear friend.
Bina said…
This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing it, Kristin!
Christi J. said…
Wonderful. That is just simply wonderful...I can't wait for those conversations to happen in my kitchen.