Time...can I have some more of it?


Time is a funny thing. Almost everyday I feel like I don't have enough of it and yet, the thought of waiting (having lots of time) before we go get our children can be hard to bear sometimes. Like I said, it's a funny thing! :)

It can also be a discouraging thing for me. There are so many people that I love dearly...both friends and family...and I feel like I can never quite keep up in what's going on in their lives. I often feel badly at my lack of phone calls and what may appear as a lack of care for them (though I care greatly). Yet, there are more days than not when "doing the next thing" keeps me so busy all day long that there is little time for the phone at all. And I end up frustrated at my "lack of time."

So, as I thought through time and sought to see it from God's perspective (thanks to an encouraging email from Bea!) God showed me some neat and encouraging truths from His Word:

Psalms 31:15 "My times are in Your hands."
Eccles. 3:1,11 "There is an appointed time for everything...and He has made everything beautiful in it's time."

God has planned out my days. The seasons of my life have been written by the Almighty Author and I can rest in His plan without feeling discouraged or wishing there was even one more minute in my day. My steps have all already been numbered (Job 14:16).

Genesis 1:5 "God called the light day, and the darkness He called night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day."
James 1:17 "Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above coming down from the Father of lights..."

Time was created by God and it is good. It is not just good...it is a GIFT. It is a gift that I wake up in the morning, fix my kids breakfast, teach them, fix them lunch, take a walk, prepare dinner, welcome Bryan home...I think you are getting my point. The problem is, I often don't get this point. I don't see time as a beautiful GIFT from God...but often something to complain about (usually because I feel like I need more of it!).

Psalms 90:12 says, "So teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom."

Life is short, time goes fast...but God is still sovereign over both! I desire deeply to have a heart of wisdom when it comes to my daily living...each second, minute and hour. So, for me, that means starting each day with the recognition that it is a GIFT from the Lord and then I can truly rejoice and be glad in it!

Comments

5 Cougs said…
Kristin,
You should write for a column in the newspaper!!
Thanks, Jill...you are so sweet! :)
Thank you for this! As I am reading it, I am very much aware of "how little time" I have right now... How I should get probably be getting off-line right now, and re-adjust my priorities, etc.... typing as fast as I can w/out messing up--Hurry, I should really get off... Wow!! Time... Yes... Thanks for sharing your thoughts (and great scriptures!!) regarding the topic. What a pleasure to read. I agree w/ Jill! May God keep showing us how to best use this GIFT He has given us! (Amen.)
For His Glory said…
Ahhh Life is but a vapor!!