Always a "divine appointment"

I have a link to the left side of my blog for a blog called "Urban Servant". This gal and her hubby have a beautiful family and are so passionate about adoption! I love reading what God is teaching her as she raises these precious kids and a post from a few days ago about transracial adoption was just BEAUTIFUL!!!! I want the things she shared to be the way our family lives too! ENJOY!

Some days I can’t get through one aisle at the grocery store without a curious person stopping to ask about our family. I know we are intriguing. I shop with 10 kids, age 12 and under, with African-American, Caucasian and Cherokee all represented in their patient faces. To the world at large we are a blazing city on the hill or at least a passing carnival.

There is no way to hide our calling when we are out in public and the human truth is that there are days when I really embrace the message of Matthew 5:14-16 and others that I just want to skip those verses altogether and go back into my homogenous, self-centered, two children, double-latte life. But God says in His word - “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill can not be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to the whole house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.”

Every time we walk out our front doors people are watching. What does your life testimony say when you walk out? Is it pleasing to God? I hope so! I hope that you are reading this because you have felt the call on your life to accept the blessing of a child who God raises up from somewhere outside your womb. And if you are not called to adopt yourself, I urge you to support those who are.

I pray as I’m writing that your ears will hear the call of the Lord on your life and be deaf to the clanging cries of the world. Adoption is hard, and transracial adoption is always out on public display so it is always hard. But that’s not bad. When we walk to the park, or the zoo or the museum, it is almost guaranteed that God has a ‘divine appointment’ waiting for us there. It’s taken a long time for me to embrace the moments I have been given to let my light shine so that God might be glorified, but I am learning. It’s living out of the call from 1 Peter 3:15 “…to always be prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.” I admit I never thought about it before we adopted, but nine years and seven blessings later I have a solid trust in he who placed us on the hill.

When you adopt children who look like you there is a lot of attention for a brief time and then people sort of forget and strangers don’t have a clue, so the public part of adoption is pretty much done (excepting medical issues and genealogy projects in school). But when you adopt transracially that phase is never over – the fact that God built your family though adoption is always right out front, always an opportunity to give Glory to our Father in heaven. So get your testimony ready, soften your heart and receive the questions from strangers with joy because YOU get to tell them about the God who made your family beautiful.

Comments

Wow, that was awesome, Kristin! Marie Burns (Chrissy's Mom)
I thought so too, Marie!!! Good to "see" you via the blog :)
Sandy said…
Wow! Marie wrote down the exact words that popped into my head after reading that! Thanks, dear daughter, for sharing that!!! You are all in my prayers! I know that you're having a wonderful time! Love you!!!
For His Glory said…
Wow that was good! I believe trans-racial adoption might possibly be a reality for our family (veiwing files monthly has been a huge indicator), but whatever he chooses to give us is going to bring glory to God no matter what the race...