To Work or Not to Work


I received an email today in response to a post I made a couple of days ago where I shared some truths that had been shared on the "Girltalk" blog. While it did not specifically encourage women to be at home with their children it talked (and so did I) about the high value of shepherding your children and being as available as possible to training them in the context of the home.

A friend lovingly emailed me and was concerned about what I had shared...in the sense that it might seem as though a "mother at home" is truly "better" and "more spiritual" than a working mom. She knows I love God's Word more than anything and wanted to know where I stood on this issue and why. I originally planned to just email her back and share my heart but I realized that if she had this question, maybe there are others of you who have the same one:) (And, just so you know, she knows that I am sharing this will all of you!)

I will be honest...I address this issue with fear and trembling and only because I feel God is laying it on my heart to do so. I have DEAR friends on both sides of this equation and my desire is not to hurt ANY of them!!! In fact, my desire is truly to step out of the way and stick to Scripture as much as possible!:) Don't read between the lines :) but do read each word knowing that it is written in love!

There is no Biblical mandate that requires women to be at home full-time. You just won't find it! Nor will you find Biblical mandate that says women must work out of the home, although you do find reference to some sort of employment by a few women when you read about Leah, Dorcas, Priscilla and even the Proverbs 31 woman.

What you do find, though, is Scripture on what a mother IS supposed to look like when it come to the home. I Timothy 5:14 says that we are to "manage our homes"(the Greek term for this phrase denotes all the aspects of household administration , not just raising the kids) and Titus 2:5 says that we are to be "workers at home" or "homemakers". You can't read about the Proverbs 31 woman without recognizing that home was her primary sphere of work,too.

The key word in all of this, too me, is the word PRIMARY. God has called us, as women, to make our husband, kids and home our primary ministry(Titus 2:5). There are no ifs, ands or buts about it. Scripture is clear! What is not always so clear is how that will look in each and every woman's life. I am not trying to walk the middle line to make everyone happy... but bear with me while I explain.

Approximately 75% of women in our country are in the "work force". Clearly, our world sees a woman working as not only acceptable, but the norm. Which actually makes ME the odd duck out!!! That could leave me feeling very unsure about the choice Bryan and I are making in regards to me being at home. Just as a woman working could feel unsure about being in the workforce (whether she is there due to debt, husband's desire or her own personal choice) when she reads books or articles that talk about "Christian women" staying home. It actually can put both "sides of the issue" into confusion or at least uncertainty as to what they are supposed to do.

But that is the beauty of God's Word EVERYTIME!!!! We never have to be confused or uncertain. We never have to fear if we are making a wise choice. Proverbs 3:5-6 is an oldie but goody that we can cling to: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In ALL your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths". We acknowledge God by going to His Word, by obeying His truths and submitting to His plan for our lives!

So, that leaves each of us in a place of self examination (and that might include some insight from our spouse or a dear, godly friend :)). We have to go to God's Word and ask ourselves if we are obeying His call for our lives...whether we work or we are at home. Here are some questions, taken from Scripture, to ask ourselves: Are we loving our husbands, first, and our children next of all? Are we doing our husbands good and not harm each day? Can our husbands trust us and know that all is well when it comes to the "homefront" (since we are called to be the managers). Are we following Deut. 6 and talking about the things of the Lord with our children whenever we are with them? Are we lazy or do we work hard? Are we providing meals for our household? Does our family have clean clothes to wear :)? Do we discipline our children diligently (Proverbs 13:24,23:13)? We set the "tone" in our home, what tone is it? Are we giving glory to God whether we eat or drink or whatever we do? Do we laugh and live life joyfully?

Sure, there is not one of us who will live this out perfectly...or who will not fail in some areas multiple times a day! But the question really is, "Are these things our priority and how can we best accomplish them right now?" Many of us are in different seasons of life which creates different sets of circumstances! But one thing that never changes, that never goes through seasons and that is a constant standard is the Word of God. Everything we do or not do must be done in light of His Word. So, for me personally, both Bryan and I know that I could not maintain a job outside of the home and still do the things we believe God has called me to. That may not be what it looks like for you...but I rejoice that what it should "look like" for both of us is a passionate, Godward focus that affects everything and everyone around us!

Comments

For His Glory said…
I think another good point to make would also be; When our families start to become the "inconvienince" or "distraction" or "burden" rather than our delight, we need to re-evaluate our hearts and what could be the factor causing it...Thank you for the post! Wisley written and encouraging for both sides of the fence!!
Matt5verse6 said…
For me, I am overwhelmed as it is without adding a day job, outside the home, to the mix. The children in my home depend on me to be there when they are there. When I was working outside of the home during the day it was absolute chaos in my home!!! No joke!!! The children were acting out (especially the older ones) because they were not getting a proper amount of attention from me, the house always looked like a tornado had just gone threw it, meals were not made as they should have been, laundry was done as it should have been, dishes were constantly piled up in the sink. It was a disaster and embarrassing! I always felt stressed and rushed. There was hardly time to commune with God and much less for everyone else.

Since I have started maintaining a consistent home schedule while the children are there and awake, it has helped them tremendously! They need me just to be there. Three out of the four children in my home follow me where ever I go in the house. And that is not an exaggeration. If I go to my bedroom to fold laundry or take a moment to commune with God and make sure my heart is where it should be, it is not long before three lambs are right there with me. Whether they are playing with toys on my bed or reading quietly while I do what I am doing. This tells my heart that my presence is important to them...even when they are not asking me for something. :)

But that is in my home and that is the way God has wired my family and me. And so I feel this is how God has called me to prioritize things in this particular season of my life and the lives of my loved ones.
Kimiko said…
Thanks for the post, Kristin! This is an issue that is very dear to my heart, as I spent my college years studying this. In fact, my whole college degree is based upon the principles of Proverbs 31 and Titus 2. I had the privilege of learning from very wise and godly women on these passages and issues. Of course, I am not an expert, but will offer some of the things I have learned, much of which just echoes what you have written.

As you mentioned, there are examples of women in the Bible who did work outside of the home. Proverbs 31:24 says, "She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies belts to the tradesmen." However, this work came only AFTER her family was taken care of.

What was really stressed by my professors was that a women may work outside the home, but her first priority should be her family and home. If her family and home are suffering, then she really shouldn't be working out of the home, or shouldn't be working out of the home as much. Of course, there are always other valid reasons for women working out of the home (husband can't work, the extra income is a necessity, etc.). Therefore, for some women, they ARE able to maintain their family and home AND work outside the home. For them, working outside the home is another way they are caring and loving their family. I, however, am not one of them! I had a hard enough time maintaining my home and working full-time before I even had any kids, so I know that for ME (not everyone), it just wouldn't be appropriate to work outside of the home. It is a decision that each family needs to make together.
Thanks so much for your comments and for being willing to share what God is doing in your life! Love you guys!!!
crystal said…
I myself could not handle a full time job or part time job and take good care of my husband, children and home and number 1. SPENDING TIME WITH GOD!my husband works so if we were both working our 3 children would be in day care for 4-8 hours!now for my husband and I we feel that it is no ones responsibility to take care of them while we would be at work!besides that we have three children that all require daily meds at morning and night and lillies therapy 4 times a week and doctor appts!for me thats a full time job in it self!my family would be a "distraction" and a "inconvienince" if I was working outside of our home!my home would be like brook said to a T if I worked!so that is what we know is right for our family for me to manage our home and my husband work to provide for our family!Thank you for the post!!you made some great points!!
My girlfriend sent me a link to this blog and there was a really good article...although I crack up because the "title" for my post she actually says is not the right question :) Read for yourself and find out why!
http://a-homemakers-meditations.blogspot.com/2009/02/to-work-or-not-to-work-that-is-not_26.html
Thank you, Kristin, for sharing what God's Word says on this topic... and for sharing it with all of your readers--not just with the one person whose e-mail prompted this post!
God Bless ya', sistah! :)
bina said…
I love that this post is filled with Grace AND Scriptural Truth. I also love that your questions for us are getting at our hearts, rather than prescribing extra-Biblical legalisms. It is clear that Scripture proritizes loving our husbands and children and managing our home, even though this might look differently in different women's lives. I really appreciate your suggestion to go through these questions with your spouse. This has been an especially helpful exercise for me, as there is no human being that knows my heart like he does. Plus, I am created specifically to be his helper, so it helps me to know what he specifically finds most helpful. :) He asks me questions too in holding him accountable to his role as a Christian, a man, a husband, etc.
Kristin, I must share with you that your Mom & I have discussed this issue on more than one occasion, although initially it was not out of obedience to God's Word. Perhaps you forgot, but the Lord used your birth and Mom's commitment to being at home with you, to expose my self-centered sin and my need for Jesus. I'm sure back then I would have preferred Mom to work (the extra income from a dental hygenist would have been nice to spend on "me"). However, the Lord patiently reproved me and the Holy Spirit convicted me, showing us that He has promised to meet all our needs according to His riches (Phil. 4:19), if we will live His way, and He has!

Although I was initially ignorant about what the Bible taught, Mom wanted to serve her family at home simply because her God-given "motherly" instinct was compelling her to do so. However, as we studied the Scripture together, the Holy Spirit taught us both to manage our lives by God's blueprint (much of what you have written in your blog about the Word of God. I will honest and say that Mom never wanted to work outside the home. It was mostly my idea). This meant that while you were all living at home, I had to adjust my thinking and behavior to God's standard, working hard to provide what was needed physically and to lead spiritually ... and Mom would work very hard at home taking care of our full quiver of 6 children to enable me to do what God called me to do. (I believe Mom definitely worked harder at her job than I worked at mine, though mom would never want to trade places with me, even though she often worked 24/7 to fulfill her ministry to her family. And she did it with great delight!)

While at times I feel I often failed to be the "father" who led spiritually and was available when you all needed me, the Lord was still gracious to our family. I praise God for your mother. She was, and still is, faithful as a devoted mother, servant, and an excellent example to, you, and your siblings of a godly woman. The fruit of her ministry at home is something you all benefit from today to the glory of God. And today, her children indeed call her "blessed" (Prov. 31:28).

Our testimony is this: The Lord Jesus has been faithful to honor His Word. He has met our needs physically and financially, and even in the midst of an imperfect home (mostly my imperfections and sin) God has provided grace and forgiveness to see us through. Thanks to your mother's faithfulness to her call, and our commitment to obey the Lord and His Word, we had a home that was generally Christ-centered, Spirit-filled, and by God's grace biblical. And today, we rejoice in how the Lord is using you all to do the same!
Thanks so much for your continues words of how God has made it clear to you in regards to His calling in your lives!
Dad, thanks for sharing. It meant a lot and I am so thankful for all the hard work you have put in through the years...especially while working and going to seminary...so that mom could be there for us all the time. We have so many sweet memories and hold mom so dear in our hearts...and I am so thankful for the "unseen" role you played in that as you were often "absent" so mom could be "present"! I love you and mom and I am so thankful to be able to call you my parents!!