What are you thinking about?


I figured I would share a little bit more about where our discussion about self-control took us yesterday. Bryan shared a really neat perspective in family devotions last night that I am hoping he will blog about for you, but yesterday morning the kids and I looked closer at 2 Corinthians 10:5,"We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of Christ; and we take every thought captive to obey Christ." I talked to the kids (and myself) about the fact that every emotion, desire and action starts with a thought first. So, the key to self-control is having control over our thoughts...or, as the verse says, making our thoughts obey Christ. Over the next couple of weeks we will continue to take time to look at the importance of right thinking. There are sure plenty of verses to dig into!

Proverbs 23:7 "For as he thinks within himself, so he is."

Proverbs 14:15 "The simple believes everything, but the prudent gives thought to his steps."

Isaiah 55:8 "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, declares the Lord."

Psalm 139:23 "Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts!"

Romans 12:3 "For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned."

Philippians 4:8 "Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."

TID-BIT: I was emailed today about how to go about teaching the Word of God in a way that each child understands and is stretched when you have several years age span between children. We are not experts, but one thing Bryan and I have learned is that REPETITION is key! You may ask many "probing questions" geared toward your older children...but always have a few key sentences about the subject you are working through...and keep repeating those same few sentences and keep asking the younger ones questions about those same few sentences. Our older kids usually walk away grasping the whole concept and Titus walks away with a sentence...but in both situations the Word of God has gone forth and we rest on God's promise that it will not return void!

Comments

For His Glory said…
Wow, thanks for all those great verses to meditate on Kristin...I see a study in the same topic happening soon here in my own home (only cause you did all the homework for me:) ) And I have to agree with what you wrote under "tid bit", I've seen way too many times where parents have just simply resolved that their children are too young to understand God's rich truths, and so don't use them until they see fit, but we need to use them from the beginning!! My mom just told me that while she's in the nursery holding the newborns she speaks God's word to them, simple things like softly singing to them "Jesus made you, Jesus loves you". The verse Deut. 6 comes into mind about speaking God's Word while they sit in their house, walk, lay down and rise up"...I need to have this rich reminder often because I tend to get lazy about it way more than I care to admit!

PS Apparently you have been blogging away missy! I will have to catch up this week :) You go girl!
Anonymous said…
I love all the thoughts and ideas that you blog. Thanks for sharing!

I think about your "tid bit" a lot with the girls because their understanding of English vocabulary is not up to their age level. I have seen, though, how with repetition the girls do remember truths we are trying to teach them. They may not fully understand the truth right now, but it will be in their heart!