What do you do when your jeans don't fit?


Yesterday I mentioned that I would share with you my struggle with self control...or rather one of my struggles! There are plenty of areas to choose from, but one that specifically has been a real struggle for me these past couple of month is that I LOVE TO EAT AND HATE TO STOP!!!!

Now, before I go any farther, there are probably some of you who are already getting irritated with me. If you know me or see me often, you know that I am not a size 20 and, therefore, how could I possibly have a problem? Or, maybe you are even thinking...who cares...clearly you can get away with it! :) But while my struggle may not show in a huge external way (although some of my favorite jeans that I can't fit into right now might disagree a little with that statement!), my heart is in desperate need of renewal!

No matter how big or small I look, often, it is food that occupies my thoughts...typically once the kids go to bed. I love ice cream...sadly, sometimes more than I love Jesus. God is enough...but there are times when I just can't go to bed without some extra snacks and, in the process, deny (whether I realize it or not) that God is enough. It's not easy to write this down, but it's the truth.

What hit me hard these last couple of days is that, for so long, I have measured my inner man by the size of my outer man. If I looked good and fit into my clothes...I was doing great. If things were tight and I felt "fat", then I needed to "work on" self-control. Even when I have done Weight Watchers (after having my kids) my thoughts were still completely PREOCCUPIED with food....how many points was this item, how many points could I save to have something big later, etc. Now, don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with Weight Watchers at all...the problem was and is my heart.

I have not been heeding the wise council of I Cor. 10:31, "Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." And Ephesians 5:16, "Be careful how you walk, not as unwise but as wise..." In fact, when it comes to eating, I rarely ask the Lord if it is a wise or unwise choice. I have forgotten the advice of Dr. Bridges, "...let the will be kept in quiet, subdued, cheerful readiness to move, stay, retreat, turn to the right hand or to the left, at the Lord's bidding...no step well prayed over will bring ultimate regret." I am great about praying with my family at each meal...but I am realizing I need to pray over every snack too. That actually might keep many of them from ever entering my mouth! :)

So, after prayer,conviction,repentance and a precious talk with my mom...I took the kids to Value Village (like a Salvation Army) and bought myself some bigger pants!:)
Not because I don't care about ever fitting into my favorite pants but because, right now, I care more about my heart "fitting into" God's plan for my life. And, as I am renewed through HIS truth, I trust that my favorite jeans will find their way out of the back of my drawer one day. And, if they don't, I can still rejoice that while "man may look at the outward appearance, the Lord looks at the heart." (I Samuel 16:7)

PS I believe it is fair to say that I am not alone in struggling with loving food too much. If you have walked down this road or are on it right now, feel free to share! I know we can all be encouraged, as iron sharpens iron, in how God has grown us in this area!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I still think you should write a book! I enjoy reading your comments everyday. Check out 90IN09.com. It's Big Daddy Weave and his spiritual journey to lose weight. Not that you need too! It's just a good story.
Hi Jen!:)Thanks for your sweet words about writing a book :) The thought sounds daunting :), but if an offer is ever thrown in my lap, I just might consider it!
I checked out the website. It is pretty cool to see what he is doing. I wonder how many people have signed up to do it to?
Holly said…
It is a big struggle for me too with snacking after the kids go to bed. It's very difficult during the week, and if I find myself up off the couch during a commercial break heading for the kitchen...I turn AWAY from the fridge and the cabinet and reach for a glass of water, chug it down and park myself back on the couch. I usually pick one day (Friday or Saturday night) as a special treat night. As long as I was good all week long (no snacks) I treat myself with one snack on one night over the weekend. So far it's been working. Just by doing that alone, I've gone down a few pounds.
Lol...I'm sitting here wishing I had your struggle right now!! Aaron asks me what I want to eat, and I wish I didn't have to eat. He asks me quite often if I want ice cream, and right now ice cream sounds discusting!! Anyways I had to laugh. I'm SUPER excited that you are once again fighting the battle of self-control...which you and I and all believers will fight for the rest of our lives. And I think I came to the point last year of deciding that if buying bigger pants was the only way I could glorify the Lord and get over idolizing my size or lack there of...then it needed to be done!! Amen!! It takes away the goal of fitting into the jeans, and puts first the goal of glorifying the Lord in how you eat!! (And you're right, he may reward you with pulling those jeans out some day :)) Love you!! And I hope to be right back with you in this struggle some day soon!!!
Thanks Holly, I appreciate what you said...it's so true...JUST DON'T GO THERE, right!?!

Kim...my dear sister...I can't imagine what it is like to NOT want to eat :) although I may have had a few of those days in my life :)
Love you and praying you feel better real soon!!! What did the doctor say?
For His Glory said…
You and your ice-cream!:)
Juli said…
That's it, Krisitn, I'm claiming you as my Christian twin sister :) It's been put on my heart too that I need to work on self control. For me, though, it's my tone of voice when dealing with some of the library's more disrespectful, argumentative customers. It's also keeping my anger in check and remaining calm, but firm in my dealings with them.

I have to caution you about praying for opportunities to practice and develop self control. God *will* answer that prayer. I know from lots of recent personal experiences :) Actually, that's a good thing.

Hope you have a great day.

Juli
Tyffany said…
Hilarious! I hope you enjoy your new jeans! Have fun in Cali! When you get back if I am not in the hospital having this baby we need to get together. Especially since you are bailing on the dinner! :)