Happy Birthday Grandpa!


He goes by the name of Ed, Edward, Eddy, Dad, Papa and even Opa...but to me, he is Grandpa. I just wanted to share a snapshot of who he is through the eyes of one of his grandaughters...me!
My Grandpa is a quiet man...but still very much has an opinion and, when he chooses to speak up, you can be assured he is going to speak accurately and to the point! If it's a gardening question, a "how to" in investing or if you are just wondering what the weather is supposed to be like, my Grandpa is the best person to ask! My Grandpa is also one of the greatest examples to me of truly doing "everything without complaining or arguing". I can honestly say that I can NEVER remember a time in which I heard my Grandpa complaining about something he had to do. He has always been a hard worker and someone you could count on to lend a hand. He never makes you feel like you have asked too much of him or that he doesn't want to help out. In fact, as I write, my dear Grandpa is out in the backyard throwing the baseball with Titus. It's almost 80 degrees out...and I am sure he'd rather be sitting down reading...but he is out there getting a sore arm just to see his great-grandson smile!

Grandpa and I have had a lot of fun over the years trying to beat each other playing cards. And, he is not an easy guy to beat...especially with his card counting ability! He and I both share a love for ice cream and sweets in general...but I still have to learn his secret of eating slowly and in moderation!:) I love my Grandpa and I am so thankful not only to be celebrating his 80th year of life with him but to have some sweet time together in our home! I know it was not the easiest trip for he and my Grammy to make!

Grandpa, in a month where you should be receiving all the presents...I want to thank you for the present I received from you and Grammy in your son, my dad! My dad is a wonderful, godly man whom I love and respect and hold so very dear to my heart. Thank you for the sacrifices that you made, the drum lessons you drove him to and all the untold stories that have helped to make my dad who he is today. Your legacy is a beautiful one and I am so thankful to be apart of it! I love you!



My Aunt Judy (with help, of course!) wrote down all the "titles" for my Grandpa on the back of the apron...in essence, a recap of his life. It was so neat to hear many things that my Grandpa did that I didn't even know about!

Comments

For His Glory said…
WHat a sweet blessing for your grandfather I'm sure it was!! PS Did you make that cake!!??
Are you kidding me....good ol' Costco for that one!!!! Oh, and everyone slept just about everywhere! A family in our church offered two of their extra bedrooms, my parents brought their trailer and Bryan and I actually slept one night in the garage! :) It was nice and dark and quiet in there! :)