Holy Spirit Helpn'


It has been a joke between Bryan and I for quite a while...whenever my "encouragement" starts to spill over into seeking to convict my hubby about something or another...he usually ends up telling me that he doesn't need another Holy Spirit, He already has one! :) It seems funny now...but not always so funny in the middle of my fleshly moment, if you know what I mean!:) And while my husband is completely right...and, in those moments, I am totally in sin...thanks to Elyse Fitzpatrick and her book, "Helper by Design" I am seeing that there are many ways in which I CAN emulate the Holy Spirit and be a blessing to my husband!

Here are some of the thoughts from chapter 2:

I am called to be a helper to my husband (Gen. 2:18) just as the Holy Spirit has been given the role of Helper to us believers (John 14:16,15:26,16:7) and the same way God describes Himself in relation to us (Psalms 28:7,37:40,54:4). What a cool thought, huh?!!! The Greek word for helper is Parakletos which means "called to one's side, to one's aid." We are called to our husband's side and aid much like the Holy Spirit is called to our side and aid!

The word helper can also be translated:"comforter," "consoler," "advocate," "counselor," and "intercessor".

What beautiful thoughts to think and meditate on!...that we are to be our husbands greatest comforter and consoler when he is hurting or frustrated. That we are called to be his advocate...to speak IN FAVOR of him. That we can give our husband counsel...a high calling that requires a passionate love for God's Word and wisdom to apply it! And that we are given the privilege and the responsibility of PRAYING for our husbands...of pleading before God for our husband's growth in his walk with Lord, a love for leadership in our home,and a passion for God's Word and for the body of Christ, to name a few.

I am so thankful for the Holy Spirit that God has left us with...to be our perfect Helper! And I am humbled and awed at the calling I have been given to reflect His likeness as I seek to help Bryan, as imperfectly as it will be done!

So, just maybe, my husband really could use two "holy spirits" in his life after all! :)

Comments

For His Glory said…
I too often try to be my husband's holy spirit and he also says the same thing:) Thanks for sharing what the Lord put on your heart! It encouraged my heart to watch my ways and see how I can better encourage my husband!