My Grandpa

Today is my Gramps' Memorial Service. Even though we cannot be there to share and support my grandma, mom and aunt, I wanted to share with you all a glimpse into the life of the man I called "Gramps".....




When I think of Gramps, I immediately think of his mischievious grin. If I close my eyes I can literally picture him with that crazy grin on his face. You could only guess what caused it...something crazy or silly that he had just done, a teasing remark that he was about to say, but it always kept you wondering what was going on in his head. And it always kept me wanting to make sure I had a good comeback for whatever he did say! :) My brother,David, has the same grin...and I often look at him and can't help but think of Gramps.

I have sweet memories of the summer David and I went to visit Gramps and Grandma on their houseboat. Gramp's taking us for bike rides and taking us to the store and showing us his favorite pickle..pickled pig's tongue! I'll never forget that. I thought he was joking...but he wasn't! :) He always had specialty food that he had ordered from someplace besides where they lived! Licorice always topped that list in my mind!

A few years ago, I got to go and visit Gramps and Grandma in New Bern with mom. I am thankful for that time. He took me out for a ride in his sports car...and I think he had a little too much fun seeing if he could scare me with his speed...or maybe it was just seeing if he could whip the hair right off of my head, since the top was down! :)

And then there were his Christmas gifts...one year it was a $100 dollar bill stuck in the middle of a maze (using one of those little metal balls). It was the hardest I have ever had to work for a Christmas present!

I guess, as I look back, I am so thankful for the unique way Gramps did some of the things he did. It left special memories that will not easily be forgotten...and YOU, Gramps,crazy grin and all, will never be forgotten. I love you!

Comments

For His Glory said…
I'm sure it was not easy to write and post what you did:( I'm sure the tears welled up as you did. May this be a reminder to all of us that life is short and people are hopeless. Let's get out of our comfort zone and grab hands and lead them to the Saviour, the everlasting HOPE!! Sad with you today dear friend:(, but rejoicing at what the Lord is working out behind the scenes:)
sbenedetti said…
What precious memories!! How's mom and grandma doing??

Franny Crosby said this:
Pass me not, O gentle Savior,
Hear my humble cry;
While on others Thou art calling,
Do not pass me by.

Refrain

Savior, Savior,
Hear my humble cry;
While on others Thou art calling,
Do not pass me by.

Let me at Thy throne of mercy
Find a sweet relief,
Kneeling there in deep contrition;
Help my unbelief.

Refrain

Trusting only in Thy merit,
Would I seek Thy face;
Heal my wounded, broken spirit,
Save me by Thy grace.

Refrain

Thou the Spring of all my comfort,
More than life to me,
Whom have I on earth beside Thee?
Whom in Heav’n but Thee?

Refrain