Pulling Weeds!


In light of the statement I made last week about NOT being able to multi-task our family...they are people not tasks...and in light of the Sunday School class Bryan is teaching on parenting this month, I thought it would be a great time to look at marriage and parenting a little closer! :) Just like the weeds and dead branches that my family worked at removing on Saturday in hopes of getting our front yard neat and in order, so too, I know I have weeds and dead branches in my heart in regards to being a wife and mom that need to be uprooted as well!

Charles Spurgeon says of a wife,

"She asks not how her behavior may please a stranger or how another's judgment may approve her conduct; let her beloved be content and she is glad."

I love that quote...but if I am being honest, it is not the way I often live. I often care (very much) about what others think of me...but not even think once about asking my husband what HE thinks. And not just asking him what he thinks but valuing his opinion as more precious than all the rest and making my decision based on my husband's advice!!! I think I often, sadly, buy into the worldly thinking that says..."Your husband has no clue! Better get a second opinion!" I have bought into this lie especially when it comes to the way I look physically, the way I dress and even how I do my hair. I am more apt to dismiss my dear husband's opinion of those things when, truly, HE is the ONLY one who's opinion should matter in regards to my body!!!!

If the first part of that quote is not always true...it might be fair to say that the second part of the quote is not always true either! I wonder how many times my beloved is not content with my behavior and conduct? How many times does he not feel that I value his opinion and find great joy in pleasing HIM?

I'm gonna find out when I ask him tonight...want to join me in asking that question to your hubby as well?!!! :)

Comments

For His Glory said…
That's sooo true! What a beautiful quote! To make sure that our husbands are honored, and making sure that "whatever" it is he wants and desires in conduct and attitude in his wife, honors God first and foremost...