Pulling Weeds...and Sowing Love


It's April which means we are on to a new fruit of the Spirit. Last month was self-control and this month we are focusing on LOVE! As I talked about love this morning with the kids, I realized just how fitting the truths were in regards to my husband and my marriage..so I thought I would share it with you :)

God's Word has encouraged me today to examine my heart and pull out the weeds of selfishness and sow seeds of servanthood in my marriage! The kind of love talked about in the fruits of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) is an agape love...a love of choice. A love that leads to willing, self-sacrificial service. I couldn't help but think of Mathew 20:28 "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve and to give His life as a ransom for many."

As I think through that kind of love and my marriage...I think my biggest problem, right now, is just not taking the time to find ways...to plan out ways...to willingly and, yes, even self-sacrificially serve my husband and encourage his heart. Life is very busy but it's easy to use that as an excuse for why Bryan often gets the leftovers. If I am being honest, the thought of "meeting one more person's needs" after taking care of our 4 kid's needs and the responsibility of managing our home sometimes feels like too much. OUCH! Especially, when that "one more person" is my hubby!!! The very man who is my BESTEST friend in the whole world, my other half and the love of my life!!! How does that happen? I forget about the beauty of marriage and the precious calling of being a wife!

My mind needs to be renewed in the Word of God and be reminded of the sweetness of marriage and the PRIORITY it is over everything else...second only to my walk with Christ! And I need to PLAN!!! There was a day before kids (and I believe there will be a day after kids :) ) where showing Bryan my love for him and seeking to encourage him was not something that needed much planning. But God has added sweet blessings to my life that makes planning a necessary ingredient for a fruitful, beautiful marriage. And when I don't plan, the fruit just isn't as sweet as it could be!

Would you join me in PLANNING ways to show each of our husbands just how dear they are to us and how thankful we are to the Lord for them? Feel free to share your ideas...or better yet, try your ideas and then share how they blessed your husband!!! :)

Stay tuned for tomorrow's topic...being the "Holy Spirit" in your husband's life...and I am not joking! Okay...so maybe I am using a play on words...but you'll have to check it out for yourself tomorrow :)

Comments

For His Glory said…
Jesus did say the greatest is Love! It is so frustrating when I lack love! Thanks for the thoughts to ponder on how I can better show love to my hubby and family!