Expecting the Unexpected!




"Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand." Proverbs 19:21

I am not sure how many times I have typed out this verse in one of my posts...but I know it has been frequently! This time, as I type, I feel a bit loopy and unsteady (thanks to some good ol' drugs) but God's Word is just as true today as it was yesterday and last week!

For those who have not heard, I'll try to sum it up quickly.

On Thursday evening we headed to Hood River to see my brother, Andrew (who just got back from Israel) and to celebrate Mother's Day with my mom. I woke up about 4:30 Friday morning with, what I thought were, unbelievable gas pains all over my stomach. After a couple of hours I got back to sleep, only to be awakened an hour later by another bought of pain that seemed to be specifically in my lower right abdomen. After making phone calls to the advice nurse, our insurance company and to someone in our church who's son had had his appendix out a few months ago (Riley...I still believe you have appendix cooties and that you gave them to me!!! :) ), we decided I had better head to the hospital.

My pain was manageable, so I had my mom take me to the hospital and we sent all the guys and the kids on the hike we had planned on taking that day. My mom and I spent the next 4 hours talking...not at a fun little cafe like I had planned...but in an ER room in between urine samples, blood work and sipping on a nasty drink that they called a "vanilla smoothie" (YUCK!!!) so that I could get a ct scan done of my abdomen. :) It was still a sweet blessing to spend that time with my mom!

The doctor confirmed that I, indeed, needed to have my appendix removed and about 5 pm Friday night, that is exactly what they did. I spent the night at the hospital and was given a room with an amazing view of the Columbia River and Mt. Adams! Bryan teased that it was definitely a "thousand dollar view"...but we have a feeling it is going to cost a wee bit more than that! :)

I had some sweet time in the Word of God before being sent home around noon. I was reading in 2 Corinthians 8 about the Macedonians. In vs. 2 it says, "for in a severe test of affliction, their abundance of joy and their extreme poverty have overflowed in a wealth of generosity on their part." The words in that verse seem to be one big contradiction....severe test/abundance of joy and extreme poverty/wealth of generosity...WHAT????? The more I sat in the hospital bed thinking about it, though, the more my eyes flooded with tears at the truth of it. In Christ, we are NEVER without reason to be joyful...no matter how hard the test or trial. And, in Christ, no matter what we may feel we lack, we have all that we need to be exactly who He wants us to be and to be used in exactly the way He wants to use us.

Ephesians 1:18-19
"...having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might..."



My Mother's Day cake made by Faith :)

I sit here today, on Mother's Day thankful for the Word of God and His indwelling Spirit that is a light to my path and a beacon of hope when I feel like a failure as a mom, thankful for another day to be called "Mommy" and the extra hugs and touches my kids keep giving me to express their concern and thankful for my dear, precious, godly mom who is having to do, again, what she has done so amazingly over the years...self-sacrificially serve me and now my kids also as I recover. There is nothing like having your mom take care of you...especially if your mom's name is Sandy Parker! :)

Today is also especially sweet as it marks the first date Bryan and I went on 13 years ago! Bryan, these past 13 years of really knowing you...and our 11 years of marriage have been more full than I could have ever imagined. More full of pain and trials, more full of testing and battles than I ever thought we would have experienced..yet is has also been more full of love and joy than I could have ever thought possible, full of growing in the Word of God and clinging to Him as our life and length of days, full of laughter and giggles, full of KIDS!!!, full of forgiveness and learning just what it means for the "two to become one." It has been full of precious memories...Bryan, it's been full of YOU...and I can't imagine it any other way! Love you!

Comments

Juli said…
Kristen,

I love how you support and encourage others and how you are able to see God in everything. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I want to be like you when I grow up :)

Praying that you get well soon.

Juli
For His Glory said…
Have you realized all of your beautiful children have the same exact smile :)...Faith looks so mature!! Stop growing!!

Whatyou wrote was so precious Kristin and I am so grateful to know that God gives us all we will ever need in His Son.

Ps Congrats on your 1st date anniversary~
What a sweet post! I love reading your stuff, Kristin. Thanks for sharing!

My prayers are with you for a good recovery, and that the Lord would continue to encourage you through His Word! Hope we can see you on Sunday! (??) :0)