A glimpse into life at our boy's orphanage


I had the pleasure of being in contact with the dear woman (and her family),Stephne Bowers, who oversees 3 orphanages in Ethiopia, including the one our boys are in. After watching the Youtube video of CWA interviews with Stephne the Lord convicted my heart that I needed to be praying much more intensely and specifically not just for our boys but all the children, nannies and the Bower family. The ministry they serve in is constant and can be very emotionally and physically draining.

You may have noticed under "Blogs that Bless" in my sidebar I have added the Bower's blog. Just reading gives a greater glimpse into life in Ethiopia and in the orphanages and provides much to pray for. Feel free to check it out:

thebowersinafrica.blog.com

I was also thrilled to receive from Stephne a glimpse into what life is like in the orphanage for our two boys and the other older children. I thought you would enjoy a peek too!

OLDER CHILDREN SCHEDULE IN ALL THREE ORPHANAGES:

Early Morning: Awake, make beds, help nannies with toddlers and little ones;
Baths and personal hygiene;
Some children help cooks to prepare breakfast and hand out;
Clean up after breakfast and teacher nannies spend about 2 hours with children in classroom setting;
Tea/Chai/Mittin/Fruit
Reading/Story time/Music;
Lunch
Clean up and rest time for everyone;
Snack and tea;
Play time and for the older children, there is more schooling;
Supper time, clean up and preparation for bed time;

Older children are active in helping with the little ones, in the kitchen with food preparation, peeling, washing, etc. To keep the children active and busy is much more healthy for them - this is also what they are used to in their villages and homes.

Ethiopia may not be on your heart like it is ours. The Lord may have given you another "mission field" to be praying for but I pray that God would help us all to see the beauty and purpose of prayer on behalf of others. Paul states it wonderfully in 2 Corinthians 1:11:

"You also must help us by prayer, so that many will give thanks on our behalf for the blessing granted us through the prayers of many."

What a privileged it is, not only to bring supplications and petitions to the Lord on behalf of others, but then to have the sweet joy of giving thanks to God for the blessings He grants on their behalf!

Comments

Matt5verse6 said…
What a beautiful blessing to know what the boys are doing while they are apart from you. :) God is good! My heart is with you and them! ♥ Will be praying. Much love.♥
crystal said…
I totally agree that I should be praying for others not just my church family or friends and family but as you said pray for people I dont know or I dont see like your boys and all the people that take care of them and all the other children!I do think its great that we encourage one another to pray that God would show us and I also liked how you had said that it might be diffrent as to what God puts on my heart to pray for and how it may be diffrent for each one of us !I so often get stuck in a bubble and my busy life that I forget to do those kinds of things like praying for others!so thank you kristin!
So do I, Crystal!
Love you!
For His Glory said…
Hmmm that schedule won't change too much when they arrive in your home :) hee hee
That is so funny you said that, Wendy! I literally told Bryan the same thing when I read it :)