It really is busted!!!


"Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand." Proverbs 19:21

Well, it is official. Bryan's knee really is in pretty bad shape! The end of February Bryan spoke at a Jr. High retreat for another church in town...and, on the first night, he had a Jr. Higher run into him (more specifically, his knee) while playing basketball. After meeting with our beloved doctor ( who also happens to be a dear friend and an elder in our church), both he and Bryan determined the best course of action was to give it some time and see if it was just a sprain before going in for an MRI. Well, 2 months later, it was time for an MRI and we were all shocked by the findings:

-his ACL was completely severed
-his miniscus is torn
-he has a cyst on his upper calf muscle (probably a result of the injury)
-and he as swelling in his bones

I'll be honest, my first thought besides..."my poor husband" was "this is going to cost a fortune"(thanks to a rather large deductible and co-pay). And while we are praying that the camp's or churches insurance might help with the bill...ultimately it has been another good "heart check". Who's plans am I holding on tightly to? Who really owns all that we have? Do I really believe in my heart that God is sovereign..or is it just lip service?

I am so thankful for medical care and knowing that, prayerfully by the end of summer, Bryan will be able to be active again without pain or fatigue. It does not look like Bryan can get in for surgery and be back on his feet in time for Ethiopia and we are unsure of exactly what the recovery is going to look like either way. So please just pray for wisdom and that God would open the right doors for the right doctor in the right time.

"I know, O Lord, that Your judgments are right and that in faithfulness You have afflicted me." Psalm 119:75


Comments

Holly said…
Sorry to hear the bad or good news (depending on how you're looking at it). Sounds just like Nate's knee...but his ACL is torn not severed. At least you have the insurance and it will save you some money...actually a lot of money. After Nate's surgery that he had a few years ago, we were very thankful that we only had to pay our "high deductable" after we saw what the final bill was...for a procedure that he was out in and out of the hospital for by Noon. Ridiculous!
Anonymous said…
You just can't trust junior highers! Ha :-) I can relate to the unexpected medical expenses and what you said about trusting God! I still haven't received the bill for Kira's ambulance ride. I am a bit scared, quite frankly. But, with what I have seen God take care of I figure it is no big deal. I love my husband's attitude - he will say, "It is just funny money." In other words what we own on this earth is not really important in the scheme of eternity.

I will pray about the timing and his recovery. I know from my own surgeries that the recovery can be a bigger pain than you would like it to be.
I liked that..."it's just funny money" :) Our husbands are always so level headed, aren't they?!!!
Jen L said…
Poor Bryan, so sorry to hear the bad news! Believe me, Don and I have been tired of doctors since January, but you need to get yourself taken care of! And I joke with Don that I am banning him from the teens winter camp cause he always comes home injured. These guys don't realize that they are not 15 anymore! Seriously though,we will keep you in prayer, I know physical ailments can be painful and discouraging.
For His Glory said…
We don't always understand why these little quirky things happen, but we know all God's ways are right and perfect! Praying all goes successful and this will be the only go around...No fun!