JOY


I don't think I ever shared what fruit we have been working on this month...JOY! Joy is actually a hard word to give a definition too...it's more than happy but happiness is the overflow of it. Anyway, here is the definition we have been memorizing this month. Joy is being happy and full of God because His kingdom is in our hearts. I have also been continually repeating a quote from John MacArthur. I LOVE the way he describes joy:

"Joy is that like the flag that flies on the castle of our hearts when the King is present."


Isn't that just beautiful and so true! My joy, or lack there of, is in direct correlation to what my heart is clinging to! One of the easiest ways to know if there is an idol in my heart is to check my "joy-o-meter". A lack of joy is almost always a clear sign that there is an idol in my heart....that I am seeking pleasure and happiness in something other than Christ...and NOTHING will ever bring me true, lasting joy apart from Christ. Which leads me to our memory verse this month:

"You make known to me the path of life. In Your presence there is FULLNESS of joy; at Your right hand are pleasures forever more." Psalm 16:11


When we live in the light of God's presence as we study, meditate and memorize His Word we can't help but be full of joy...not necessarily because what we are going through is easy but because we know that the outcome of our faith is salvation and sanctification!

"Though you have not seen Him, you love Him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in Him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls." I Peter 1:8-9


Even Christ Himself had joy as He went to the cross. Hebrews 12:2 says that "for the joy set before Him (He) endured the cross". His eyes were fixed on His Father, God, and that brought great joy. And, when our eyes are fixed on God, we can have great joy,too, no matter what the situation...even as our eyes fill and flood with tears and our hearts ache with pain! Joy is an amazing fruit...an amazing gift from God!

I'll close with the VERY cool verse I read yesterday. A verse that is only possible to echo if we are joyfully standing on Christ, the solid rock!

"For the righteous will never be moved; he will be remembered forever. He is not afraid of bad news; his heart is firm, trusting the Lord. His heart is steady; he will not be afraid..." Psalm 112:6-8a

Comments

For His Glory said…
oooh I love that last verse! God's word's always seem so new and fresh~because they are!! What a great read! Thanks for the reminder to check my joy-o-meter :) to be sure it is rooted in the only True Joy~Jesus!