There is still a heartbeat!



Almost three weeks ago I described our adoption process, that of "losing" Samuel and Caleb, as very similar to that of losing our firstborn son, Garett.

Today, this description would not be accurate. Today I am reminded more of a time in my pregnancy with Micah. I was 16 weeks along and at my routine doctor's appointment. After checking all my vitals, my doctor proceeded to listen to the heartbeat. No matter how hard she tried, though, she couldn't find one. I remember feelings of shock...could this really be happening again...could we really have lost our second baby? She sent me up to the hospital to get an ultrasound. I remember sitting in the waiting room and just praying...praying that God would spare our baby's life but praying even more that He would prepare me for what lay ahead and that I would glorify Him and not sin in my reaction to whatever He had ordained.

They called me in and I laid on the table and watched as the screen showed a womb full of a baby. The technician found the heart and with a click of a button I saw with my own eyes...a heartbeat!!!! That was the day we found out we were having a little boy...a little Micah James!

And today, what we once thought was "dead", has been "brought to life again"...our adoption of Samuel and Caleb! As of today (we got the call at 6:30 am), the courts have legally given us the right to be their parents and, Lord willing, we will be bringing them home from Ethiopia in July (Our tentative Embassy date is July 14th!). THIS IS FOR REAL!!!:)

We received a call last Friday. One of the women on staff with CWA (from the US) was actually at the Awassa orphanage last week. (This was the same gal who stopped our adoption with the boys so that everything could be done to reunite them with their mother, which we were and are still so thankful for the wisdom God gave her in making that decision). The trip she took was a trip that had been postponed a couple of times already in God's providence, making our adoption even possible! To make a long story short, after speaking with everyone involved, these were the facts: The boy's mom had returned to CCCE (the Christian organization that runs the orphanage) in tears over not being able to take the boys back even though she wanted too. She said she was sorry for not giving permission at the court hearing and wanted them adopted after all. CCCE desired to help her take the boys back but could not give her aid because she was homeless. She had no place to take the boys. (We are guessing that is why they have been in the orphanage over a year...she has had no place to take them back to) The court date that had been rescheduled for the 4th of June but was supposed to have been canceled when our adoption was stopped, by the providence of God, never ended up being canceled. Their dear mother said she would be there to give permission so that her sons could have a home. If she did not give permission, the boys would be relinquished to her care and, would live on the streets as, sadly, many children do. In speaking to my case manager, we would call them "dumpster divers" here in America. That is how they survive. She left the decision in our hands and we said we would call her back (this past) Monday with an answer. (Our answer, obviously, was yes...not just because of the physical need but, way more importantly because of their need for Christ. Every adoption has gospel ramifications!)

So, here we were with two new faces on our fridge... with hearts that were enlarged to love and take home two new children...but faced with the reality that God had brought these precious, dearly loved boys back into our lives and their situation was dire. They would either continue living in an orphanage waiting for a new family to adopt them while they continued to be raised by nannies or they would end up on the street scrounging for food and trying to simply survive. The pain we felt in our hearts could only be but a fraction of the pain their mom must be enduring...but it also awakened us even more to the reality of the cursed world that we live in. A world that is full of pain, of broken families, of poverty and sickness and death. A world that is decaying and passing away. A world that can be so dark and bleak. But it is in this same world that the backdrop of the consequences of sin make the light of the glory of God shine all the brighter. That causes the radiance of His grace and goodness to light up the darkness. The gospel shatters the darkness and brings hope. God Himself shone into our world of pain and despair and He adopted us and made us children of the light!

So,we have not just prayed for our adoption of Samuel and Caleb but we pray for the adoption of their mother,too, into a family far greater than the Pichura Family will every be...the family of GOD! We pray that God would shine the light of His glorious gospel into her world of suffering and pain and darkness as we seek to do the same with her sons here in our home.

She is not the first woman to give her boy(s) up...she follows other godly women like Moses' mom and Hannah, Samuel's mom (and even Sarah as she watched Abraham head off with Isaac for what they thought was his death). We pray that she will follow them in godliness, as well.

We also pray for dear little A and E...the new precious faces who have touched our hearts deeper than we would have thought possible. If only we had a bigger home and van ( and some extra cash!) we would be bringing them all home! But we also peacefully rest in the sovereignty of God and HIS plan for their little lives. We pray for their parents that God ordained before the foundation of the world...that they would love the Lord with all of their hearts and teach A and E the Word of God every day! And I can't help but hope and pray that maybe the Lord might even lead one of you to adopt them! :)

We know that not everyone will understand what has transpired and that there will even be some who do not believe we have done what is best...but we rest in the fact that we have actually done nothing...nothing but wait on the Lord, taking the next step as His will unfolds and trusting His plan above all! More than anything we are learning, through this adoption, utter dependence on God. We are learning more and more just how weak and fragile we are and yet how strong, wise and all-powerful our God is. We are being reminded continually that God WILL accomplish His purposes for us and that His will can never be thwarted. Out of those truths springs forth abundant joy and peace as we follow our Savior!

We sit here today in wonder and awe...much as I did as I watched that ultrasound screen of my wiggling baby boy. And we declare with the Psalmist:

"Come and see the works of God, Who is awesome in His deeds towards the sons of men. Wonderful are your works, my soul knows it very well!" Psalm 66:5 and 139:14b

PS Today is also our very own Titus' birthday, so it is and extra special day for all of us!!!

Comments

Look at how beautifully Our God shines and the testimony that he has worked out in your lives as you have waited upon His Will!! What joy of tears roll down my eyes knowing how great our God is. And what an encouragement to my own heart to see God in action. He is alive and living and I love him and His Word!! I am rejoicing with you and will continue to pray as you bring your boys home to stay!! WoW our God is amazing!!
Arin said…
WOW!! Kristin, this is terrific news! God has truly taken blessed you guys because of your trust and faith in Him. Your family must be on cloud nine! I am so happy and excited for you and your new arrivals!
My dear, dear sister! I am just so overwhelmingly excited at what the Lord has done!! I am rejoicing exceedingly with you and continuing to pray! I love you soo, soo much and am so excited that we will both be "getting" new babies this summer! :) Although, I think your birthing pains have been harder than mine will be!!! BTW...I DO think those boys are the most adorable boys I have ever seen (well...I guess Micah and Titus hold up a good competition) tee hee. LOVE YOU!!!
Jason & Kala said…
holy macaroni! wow wow wow! ok so after being home i've got a few things i'd point out, but i'll do it privately!
how big is our God?? yup - THIS BIG!! what a miracle.
blessings to your family,
kala
p.s. once your in Ethiopia you will find you will want the kids there so you can just stay!!!
Michelle P said…
Yeah! We were praying for you lots in the last 2 days...so excited to hear the good news!! :) Guess it's a good thing you didn't return those shoes, huh? :) It's hard to believe it's only 5 weeks away!!!! We are SO excited!
NO WAY, NO WAY, NO WAY!!!!!!! :0)
I am TRULY SPEECHLESS on this one, Kristin!!!!!! Are your heads just spinning? I am certain your hearts are soaring!!! God is amazing... The plans he has for us... Wow...

(Ok, maybe I'm not so speechless afterall---I should know better than to use a phrase like that...)
SO happy for this turn of events for your family and how God is showing himself completely Sovereign, and full of wisdom, and compassion!!! My heart aches for the Mom and her situation... I will be lifting her up in prayer.

So happy for you guys!!!
Anonymous said…
Don't you love that time difference so that you could wake up this morning and court was all finished? :-)

I am thrilled for you and will pray you to Ethiopia and back! How exciting!!

That picture of the boys is absolutely adorable!
For His Glory said…
Oh my! How God works! I am overwhelmed with such joy for this news! I can't even imagine the joy in all your hearts...May you prepare the next five weeks for the change of a lifetime, not necessarily easier life, but sacrificial love that spills over to orphans who need to see thier need for Christ...Oh the joys and trials that await :)
Ruth said…
Oh Kristin...our God is so Great!!!And aren't you glad that He is the one in control and not anyone else?!

I also believe what you have gone through is a reminder of how God works in HIS time. :)
I'm sooooo excited for you all! And just think...Byran's and your surgeries are both over...hmmmm. Do you think maybe God was in control there too?! :)

As your sons get older and you begin to encounter some of the difference between cultures and other "growing pains." These past few weeks will become important in reminding you of the love and patience God took you through for these 2 precious boys!

We love all 8 of you :)!
The Urwin's said…
Kristin,

I was in tears reading this post - tears of joy for the Pichura family!! God works in ways we will never understand but He is always so awesome!!!

P.S.: Chad has a co-worker who just adopted two children from Africa. They are a Christian family who have four children of their own already. If you ever want to get in touch with them, please let us know!
Holly said…
Kristin, since I can't post a picture here, I posted one to the other blog to show you my excitement!Check it out!
Matt5verse6 said…
Kristin, you have hit it out of the park for me with your post. I am so thankful God has placed it on your heart to share your adoption journey (via blog). I cannot put into words how precious, encouraging, profound, and an utter blessing it has been to me. To watch as the roller coaster took you to heights where you could almost touch the sky and lows that hurt your heart so deeply it caused a multitude of tears yet your eyes never turned from God, His sovereignty, and His grace.

This morning my thoughts were turned to Abraham and Sarah as the guys were watching "Superbook". There the reminder began of how NOTHING is impossible for God...not an adoption, not a hardened heart toward Him, not a sick child, NOTHING!!! And I should not lose heart just because it looks like there is no heartbeat!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God can jump start a heart in a second!

I am thankful beyond measure that God has placed you in my life to encourage me as only He can through you. :) To say you have truly blessed my heart is a HUGE understatement! ♥

Much love! ♥
crystal said…
O my goodness!!!This is totally awsome Kristin!God is so awsome!!Its so neat to see God work and even though you didnt see what he was doing or what the out come would look like you trusted him and trusted his will completely and in doing so he gave you your hearts desire in the fact that your heart trusted him and your life!So gal you best get to putting those little stuff animals back on there beds lol!!You know what is funny is I still have there picture on my fridge and I have not tooken it down and in fact Addison asked about them 3 days ago and asked when you were getting them!now I get to tell her Gods plan changed:)Randall asked about who they were on my fridge and I told her to:)now I get to tell her Gods plan to changed!!!!hee hee:)Iam so happy for you!Gods is great no matter the out come!!!
Dawn S. said…
What a lovely post! So exciting!!