Birthday Number 2!



We had the blessing of celebrating my Dad's birthday yesterday. The day was much like it was 5 years ago when Titus was born...full of my Dad loving through sacrifice. I had a c-section with Titus and my other three kids (who were all MUCH younger then) stayed with my parents. My dad's birthday was spent helping take care and entertain a 1,2 and 3 year old!

Yesterday was no different. He took all the kids on a bike ride...which is no small feat! Pumping up flat bike tires, loading them all in the truck, going to the gas station to pump up ones that needed a bigger pump, unloading, adjusting seats and giving out instructions. And that all took place before the bike ride even began!

It was a sweet blessing to be able to share with my kids that Papa was showing them a beautiful picture of agape love! Agape love is a love of choice that leads to willing, self-sacrificial service. On a day when their Papa could have told them he was going for a bike ride on his own or could have planned something restful to do by himself he chose, instead, to sacrifice his own personal space, peace and quiet and energy so that his grandkids could enjoy a special bike ride and make some special memories. He blessed their hearts and he blessed mine...for he is no longer just a precious, godly example to me...but his grandchildren are reaping the blessing of the godly heritage that God has placed them in and it is now their turn to look to Papa as a wonderful, godly example as well! My heart is full of thanksgiving for my dad's life.

Dad, so many things you do often go without a "thanks", without a word of encouragement and without you knowing just how much it means to me! Every time we get together, I have the privilege of watching the love of God shine through you...a love that has shown bright over the years and has often been the light that God used to make my paths straight! I love you Dad and I just want you to know that I am celebrating your life everyday, not just yesterday!


Comments

For His Glory said…
Wow, what a beautiful example to your young boys and to your girls of godly heritage and humble servanthood~HAppy Birthday Bruce!!...It's not like he didn't have any practice with six kids or anything :):)
crystal said…
Aww Kristin,
dont you just love your dad?I know I love my dad so much!there really is a joy of thanksgiving and blessing all at the same time when you see your dad playing with your kids or like taking them on a special bike!Thank you kristin for sharing that post it was cute to see in the pictures how much your kiddies love there papa:)
What fun memories are being built to the Glory of God!! I needed the reminder about love.
What a sweet post, Kristin! And how blessed you are to have a Dad such as your own.

From a parent's perspective, I would imagine your "tribute" to him would bring tears to his eyes, in blessing...

thanks for sharing! :)