Jesus...the Name above all Names or Illigitimate Child?


As one sinner to another...boy are we good at judging motive, assuming the worst and sadly, sometimes never caring exactly what the truth is. We set up a standard (which, believe it or not, is often OURSELVES...not the Word of God) and then spend way to much time analyzing how others either live or fall by it. We look at Adam and Eve as though they were crazy for eating the fruit and for ever thinking they could actually become like God but we do that almost every day. We become the judge, we think we are all knowing and then we go so far as to think that if others would just be like us life would be so much better. Well, maybe we really don't believe those things but we sure act like it sometimes.

I keep using the plural "we" because it makes me feel better...but really, this is a sin of which I am guilty of far too often. "Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from this body of death?"(Romans 7:24).

What got me thinking about this was a verse that I read in Luke. Luke 3:23 says (about Jesus), "When He began His ministry, Jesus Himself was about thirty years of age, being, as it was supposed, the son of Joseph...". In the eyes of all Jesus was an illegitimate child! Let that sink in for a minute! Most assumed that Mary and Joseph were engaged in sex before they were married and Jesus was the result. From the day He was born, He already had the stigma of being a child conceived in sin. God become Man, the Creator of the Universe, our Savior and our Salvation was looked down upon before He was even born. And I believe I would have joined the crowd in shaking my head and assuming the worst if the Lord did not open my eyes otherwise!

I guess what I am trying to say is, my assumptions about Jesus would have been oh so very wrong just as, there are times that, my assumptions about others are wrong as well. God's will for me is that I "rejoice always, pray without ceasing and give thanks in all circumstances" (I Thess. 5:16-18) so I am to take everything (all my thoughts, frustrations and concerns) and everyone to the Lord in prayer. Only He can discern the thoughts and intents of others hearts and my job is to rest in HIS omniscience and HIS sovereignty and yes, be discerning and wise, but also make sure that that does not cross over into assumption! Ultimately, my job is to rest in the Lord and wait patiently on Him knowing that HIS name and HIS glory is infinity more important to Him than anything else and HE will accomplish HIS purpose not only in me but in those around me too!

And, as I preach those truths to myself they leave me resting in the Lord instead of judging, praying instead of assuming and passionately pursuing God's Word and truth as the standard for every area of my life!

"Fret not yourself because of evildoers;be not envious of wrongdoers! For they will soon fade like the grass and wither like the green herb. Trust in the Lord, and do good;dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness. Delight yourself in the Lord,
and he will give you the desires of your heart.Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act. He will bring forth your righteousness as the light,
and your justice as the noonday. Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him;
fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way,over the man who carries out evil devices! Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath! Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil."
Psalms 37:1-8

Comments

Jen L said…
Thanks for that insight. What a great verse to share with my kids too. Unfortunately, probably learned from their parents, they tend to judge others. Because we live a Christian life and attend church, etc., they tend to see others as "bad" people. We have been trying to teach them otherwise - to see the need for Jesus in others. I like the verse that it says "fret not". I am going to share that with Mitchell and Emily. Fret not what other are doing and trust Christ and share Him with the people we perceive as "bad".