Coming up for air!




Okay...so here is me being completely transparent...today was the hardest day since we have all been home together. Faith is sick...a constant fever (thankfully, it comes down with meds), an upset stomach, sore throat and headache...poor thing feels miserable. Samuel and Caleb have their first Doctor's appointments tomorrow and I am hoping our doctor can take a peak at Faith's throat too. I am also praying that she will be well for her surgery next Friday (she is having her tonsils and adenoids removed).

Samuel seems to go through episodes of sadness and it just breaks my heart. It's not that he cries...he just doesn't talk and he looks so sad. It's not all the time, but when I see it creep up on him my heart just aches. I think he feels lonely. He was a very social young man in Ethiopia...everyone seemed to know who Samuel was! And now, here he is, unable to truly communicate with us on his age level (our communication feels more like on a 2 year old level right now) or to fully understand the things that are going on around him...from movies, to CD's, to family devotions. I know it is just a season, and I know that it will get better and he is still so full of life...but when those moments come I can do nothing more than hold him, tell him I love him and I am so glad he is my son and then just cry out to my Heavenly Father to meet my precious son where he is at!!! On a more chipper note, I crack up every time I hear him say Grace's name...it's a tongue twister for both he and Caleb and comes out sounding like "Gooyace"! :) He calls her name often and Grace has blessed my heart over and over again with her servant's heart in keeping an eye on Caleb, riding bikes (way more than I know she would like too) with Samuel and just plain ol' setting aside her desires to meet other needs!

Today was also cleaning day and I have realized that it is going to take WAY longer to clean than I ever planned for (I am starting to think I might have to make a night out of it!). One of our two bathrooms that normally takes about 5 minutes to clean took over 25 minutes with all the interruptions! :) I can smile about it now but, I will be honest, I had to do some serious heart checks and crying out to the Lord earlier!

And then I realized that I had to figure out my homeschool curriculum order ASAP so that I could send it in to our charter school so that they could process it and order it for me. There was also the curriculum I needed to order myself because it would not be covered by CVA...not to mention that as I was thinking about the fact that homeschooling would be starting in less than a month I could literally feel the ulcers eating away at the lining of my stomach!:) I had to remind myself to not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will worry about itself (Mathew 6) and that God's grace is sufficient!!! :)

As I look back on today, there are many things that I could do nothing to change...like Faith's sickness and Samuel's sadness...but one thing that needs to become a fixture is our old routine and that includes rest time in the afternoon!!:) One of my goals in keeping a routine has always been to stay one step ahead of the kids. Right now, without the presence of a schedule/routine, I find myself about 5 to 10 steps BEHIND all of them...and they are almost always going in different directions and leaves me very lost and overwhelmed...or, in other words, exactly where I was today...trying to come up for air but feeling like I was drowning!!! :)

But, therein lies the beauty of the Gospel...the beauty of Christ in us (in me!). Even on days like today,because of Christ, I can echo the words of Paul(though I am only beginning to learn the depths of them) when he says in 2 Corinthians 4:7-10:

"But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies."

Comments

Jen L said…
Ah, I am sorry you are going through a rough season. It's really hard when you have sick kids. Know that we are thinking of you!
Michelle P said…
Thanks for sharing the "downs" this week. Praying for you guys, and you especially, as you care for the kids.
crystal said…
Kristin,
I love you and I will be praying especially for Samuel's heart and the sadness he may be feeling on certain days more so then others!I will also be praying for you and all your going through with your 6 children while your hubby is at work and your at home!I know that alot is involved with each child and all the mental part of being there for eachone and there needs and how they may be dealing with the new life with new brothers/sisters and ajusting in that way.God I know is so good and though this season is ruff he is doing something beautiful in eachone of your childrens hearts and in Bryan and your heart as well!He is doing beautiful things in peoples lifes around you through your adoption.I can say this only because through my sisters adopt he changed my heart in diffrent ways.I love to see your heart Kristin and your heart for Samuel and his sadness!Its so amazing the love God gives us for your children.I will keep your family in prayer as you go through this season.
For His Glory said…
O how I know EXACTLY what you are feeling my dear friend...Especially the part about being "ahead of the game"...I have always been a gal of sructure and I could usually predict what was going to be happening in my home daily :)...Not so anymore! And also the part about house cleaning! I have had to spread it out to two days instaed of knocking it out all in one day like I used to!! ALL I know is you need to be sure to get some time away, even if it's just a couple hours while you go sit quietly BY YOURSELF somewhere Kristin...I will pray you get that. Also, take heart, you WILL come to a place where the "new normal" feels just that, "normal". Oh how I wish I could be there now to help you and encourage you in person :)
Oh my sweet sister...I want to come clean your house and give you a big hug...both of which would be difficult for many reasons (namely, you are far away and I have this big belly in the way! :))

I think of you and pray for you often! Hang in there! I will definitely be praying for Samuel. That must be hard to see as a mommy, but I LOVE what you said about the Lord meeting him where he is at...for it is ONLY the Lord who can do that for him! Be encouraged, for he is most definitely in the Lord's hands!

I LOVE YOU!!!
Matt5verse6 said…
Hum...I wonder if there is any way to get a hold of some Ethiopian DVD's and/or CD's? At least then they would have some that they could identify with and understand. Or if John Piper offers anything in Amheric? Or if there are any American movies with Amheric subtitles? Hum...

P.S. Crystal and I were talking at the park today and laughing about "shint". :D Yep, still funny!!!
Anonymous said…
Thanks for being honest Kristin. Good stuff. Going through much of that as well. The newness of the surrounds is beginning to wear off...then comes lonely. It's hard and sad. Hang in there. Know we're going through it with you and we're praying for you.