Hitting the Road! :)






Well, today we made our first trip to Walmart! We have been so blessed with meals from our church family (for about two weeks!!! plus lunch and breakfast supplies!!!) but there were still some odds and ends that I needed to pick up. I don't think I can ever have enough bananas in the house and, while the boys do an amazing job of washing their hands and face, I have never seen so much water all over my bathroom floor...so we picked up a bath mat. Their skin seems to be constantly dry so we picked up a new product, some milk and DONUTS!!! (Samuel was very confused by the "custard" in his donut when he bit into the middle of it....I couldn't figure out how to explain that there was filling in the donut he wanted:) and Caleb wanted nothing to do with his donut...oh well, at least he ate lunch!:) They really have been doing well with eating and I have been thankful that they have at least been willing to TRY the food before pushing it away. They may not fully understand...but they will catch on...that when they at least try the food, then I am very happy to give them bread or bananas instead (which they like very much)...but if they are not willing to try it...they get nothing! They are so sharp and are picking up on thing really quick!!!

I mentioned before we left for Ethiopia that we were going to reread the booklet by J C Ryle, "The Duties of Parents". Well, I did that but I also want to keep reviewing it. I believe it will be a huge encouragement especially in light of our adoption and all the questions that keep popping up in my head. If you are interested, here is the first directive that I am going to be meditating on for the next couple of days:

First, then, if you would train your children rightly, train them in the way they should go, and not in the way that they would. Remember children are born with a decided bias towards evil, and therefore if you let them choose for themselves, they are certain to choose wrong.

The mother cannot tell what her infant may grow up to be- tall or short, weak or strong, wise or foolish: he may be any of these things or not- it is all uncertain. But one thing the mother can say with certainty: he will have a corrupt and sinful heart. It is natural to us to do wrong. 'Foolishness,' says Solomon, 'is bound in the heart of a child' (Proverbs 22:15). Our hearts are like the earth on which we tread; let it alone, and it is sure to bear weeds.

If, then, you would deal wisely with your child, you must not leave him to the guidance of his own will. Think for him, judge for him, act for him, just as you would for one weak and blind; but for pity's sake, give him not up to his own wayward tastes and inclinations. It must not be his likings and wishes that are consulted. He knows not yet what is good for his mind and soul, any more than what is good for his body. You do not let him decide what he shall eat, and what he shall drink, and how he shall be clothed. Be consistent, and deal with his mind in like manner. Train him in the way that is scriptural and right, and not in the way that he fancies.

If you cannot make up your mind to this first principle of Christian training, it is useless for you to read any further. Self-will is almost the first thing that appears in a child's mind; and it must be your first step to resist it.

Comments

Kimiko said…
That looks like a book I need to pick up! Even at such a young age, I can already see that sinful, corrupt heart in little Hannah. Having a baby in the house is definitely a good reminder that we are all BORN sinners. Thanks be to God that He chose to provide a Savior!

On a different note, Hannah and I hit Wal-Mart today, too! Too bad we couldn't all go together!
Holly said…
It's so neat to see how happy and excited all the kids looked in the pictures. I can't wait to someday see them all! I have to admit though, when I saw the picture of them all in/on the WalMart cart, my heart began to race anxiously. I can't even imagine taking 6 kids to WalMart!!! I get stressed out going there alone. God has given you a great gift!
Michelle P said…
Looks like they're getting used to life with the siblings...and the camera! All those beautiful smiles...I miss them already! :)
For His Glory said…
Oh My how brave you are :)Love the pics!!!! The boys are sooo beautiful! And they look so happy and okay with everything (at least in the pics hee hee)...Oh and that book was my husband and mine first book on parenting...LOVE IT...Need to read it again!!
For His Glory said…
PS is that bruise on Caleb's head from that fall a month ago or so??
If so, poor little guy hit it good huh?
Yep...it looks like he got 3 stitches from the scar that is left!

And Holly...the key is going to Walmart in the morning! At least in Yakima it is:) Believe me, I know what you mean though...I only got a few things to see how the trial run would go!:) Can't wait for you to meet them too!
Anonymous said…
That dry, white film on dark skin - I fight it constantly with the girls. Cetaphil cream works great and you can get a big tub at Costco.

It is fun to see the photos and how happy everyone looks and that they are enjoying each other.

Oh, come on! All children are good, not sinful! Ha ha! That was the oft repeated line in the adoption education we had to complete for our adoption. I guess they haven't read the Bible. :-) You have to even wonder if they are parents!

Get a good night's sleep!
Matt5verse6 said…
Ryle's THE DUTIES OF PARENTS sounds fabulous!!! I need to get that book so I can be reminded constantly I am doing the right thing raising the children up according to God's word and if I "let [the earth] alone, it is sure to bear weeds"!!! In the face of overwhelming opposition I tend to question myself. "Am I doing the right thing?" I have to continuously preach to myself that the ways of the Lord are foreign to those who do not have the Holy Spirit and I am called to "the duties of parents" according to God's word! I am thankful you have shared this in God's perfect timing...of course! Much love!♥
I so loved the J.C.Ryle book as well. I'm glad you shared a tidbit of it w/ your readers---that others might be encouraged to read it as well! Yes--it is worthy of being read through, again and again!

And man... I wish I had your son's problem of not wanting anything to do w/ a donut! :0)

Great photos of the gang!--thanks for sharing!!
love,
linda
Juli said…
Aww, Caleb doesn't know what he's missing. Doughnuts are the best.

Glad you survived your first shopping trip with six :)