It's not 4 hours lost!


A couple of days ago in my post I mentioned that, with homeschooling, I was "losing" 4 hours a day and that it would take time to figure out a new routine and how I was going to get the things I needed to get done in 4 less hours a day.

I wanted to share with you what my husband shared with me tonight that really encouraged me and also gently rebuked me, too! I was feeling tired and overwhelmed tonight, so much to do...so little time, feeling like I was not enjoying my children but "herding" them from one thing to the next and not with the gentle and quiet spirit that is precious to the Lord. It's not so much that school was hard (it really has been going well), as much as I just felt overwhelmed by all that was still to be done when our school day came to an end. I was sharing this with Bryan...seeking his wisdom and council over how to "make up" the time I was losing...and he came at it from an angle I was not expecting but that I really needed to hear.

Those 4 hours are not "lost" time...they are hours spent doing exactly what the Lord has called me to do and 4 hours of privilege to have our children around the table, in our home, teaching them! And, all those "other things" that seem to take up so much time, though they may seem "necessary" or "super important" to me, often they are not.

It's very easy for me to be a Martha instead of a Mary when it comes to my family...busy but not sitting and enjoying. My eyes started to fill as Bryan reminded me that Micah is half way to 18...half way to leaving our home. That may seem like a long time, but we know how quickly the first (almost) nine years have gone. What is he going to remember? What do I remember of my childhood? I can tell you that I have no clue how often the sheets were changed or how often my mom cleaned the house or even what we had for dinner most nights...but I do remember a donut date and a movie date with my dad, Mario Kart award night, lots of camping memories... I do remember lots of rides in the van with our kid's Christian music songs blaring (thanks mom!), I remember a special dress my mom had bought for me for no reason at all, I remember my mom letting us take all the cushions off the couch, bring the little tykes picnic table in and jump off it into the cushions as we did "gymnastic routines" and how she let us take the dining room chairs into the living room, drape sheets and blankets over it and make a fort and even sleep in it during rest time!

Elizabeth Elliot once said, "Do the next thing", and Jim Elliot is famous for his quote, "Wherever you are, be all there" and I want to live like that. To live each moment for the glory of God and with a thankful heart FOR THE MOMENT, not wishing it would pass or that rest time or bed time would come quick. And, as I do that, to keep my eyes fixed on Jesus, asking for His wisdom to know what the "next thing" is and then to DO IT...whether it be the laundry, a bear hug for one of my kids, a quick email of love to my hubby, another peek outside as the kids show me something exciting they just did, preparing lunch or giggling with my girls!

There is still much wisdom needed and much praying to be done as I assess what is truly a priority each day and plan accordingly...but I am so thankful for my precious husband and his willingness to show me that the "thought train" I was on was going in the opposite direction from where I needed to go and for the encouragement he gave me to sit and listen...first and foremost to Jesus and then to our kids. I have been so blessed and I don't want to waste a minute of it!

"The heart of a man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps." Proverbs 16:9

"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward...blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!" Psalm 127:3,5

Comments

Isn't it a blessing to have God's words coming out of your husband's mouth. I have (and continue to) experience that so often. We are blessed!
- said…
We just dropped our oldest at a military college on Sat. and I can tell you the 18 years where gone in a flash. The thing that helps me deal with him being gone is that I spent almost every minute of every day with him. And because we homeschooled he is EXTREMELY close to the family. My husbands wise words many years ago were " the house will never be perfect until the kids are gone, and then we will wish they were back." Some things I have learned: greatly limit the time spent outside the house, the kids need to do A LOT of chores, 80% is good enough." Cherish the days...they are fleeting.
For His Glory said…
Kristin, that was so precious and beautiful! My eyes even welled up with tears, because I too, hope for the same thing! My house has been in such disaray like never before...I had Walmart bags in my living room for two days before I even had time to empty them! Crazy...But the reason I didn't have time to empty them was because I was caring for a family...And like you said they are going to remember my example and precious memory making moments rather than a Walmart bag being emptied in a timely manner...
Ruth said…
Hey Kristin...you are so right! The time will "fly" and you know it will, and yet you seemed shocked when it does!
And it doesn't matter what age they are...they will always "disrupt" your clean home when they return at any age! My house is never completely clean when they "visit" for a weekend or the whole summer! But I would never trade that time of having them with me for anything!!!!!
In fact as I begin to lament the fact that Anders will probably not ever come back home to live, my heart breaks and I cry. Not for sadness as much as joy of having a son who loves the Lord and is getting excited about graduating from college and seeing where God takes him in his future. (I can't believe I just broke down and sobbed!)
Thanks for the reminders! Maybe someday I'll share with you about my daughter...but I got to stop crying and get to work! :)
nwestmama said…
Hey, thanks for the reminder...I feel focused and then two days later I'm discouraged about the status of my kitchen and bathrooms when my kids want to play or read or just be outside with their mom. I appreciate the second comment - 'greatly limit the time spent outside the house'...I'm so quick to run errands and whittle our days away with 'stuff' that is not that important.
crystal said…
Ya I would say you hit home Kristin!Whats really neat is being at home with our children helps us to see it more clearly!Thank you so much for sharing what you are going through as all of us mommys feel the same way!I know I do at times so thank you and love you!!
Kristin

I'm so thankful that you remember all the cool stuff we did as a family. I can honestly tell you that as your Dad, I still felt that we didn't do enough or that some of the kids were "short changed" from some of these fun experiences. I was encouraged to read your post because when you were young it was hard for us to know what impact the spontaneous was having on your childhood. If we had to do it all over again, we would spend less time trying to make life "perfect" and more time enjoying the moments we could share with you all!

Love you, DAD (FOR Mom, too)