A New School Year has Begun!


I had to remind myself as I started this post that I have always promised to be transparent. Why? Because today was REALLY hard!!! And, it would be easy to try to sugar coat today for any of you out there who are even remotely thinking about home schooling...or those of you who think I am CRAZY to home school:). Because, to be honest, I really do WANT every day of school to be a joy...I really DO want to be able to constantly give a glowing report about the beauty of home schooling. The problem is that school involves a teacher and students, all of whom are sinners and all of whom sin everyday, including during home school!

Today was a day of adjustments and I think it will be that way for the rest of the week. It wasn't that it was awful...it was just long and tiring and I was quickly reminded that "losing" an extra 4 hours a day while we school is going to take a while to get used to and is going to require some serious brain power and prayer to figure out how to get the things I need to get done in a day, done with 4 less hours.

Ugh...I feel like I am complaining...please know that that is not what is in my heart. I just don't want to paint a picture that life is easy and peachy and I am some sort of "one of a kind" woman who can do way more than the average woman...because I can't! :)
And, as those thoughts ran through my head today, I had a crazy urge to go and check out the "Girltalk Blog" in the middle of home schooling. The computer is typically a NO-NO for Kristin during school hours...it is just too distracting for me...but I really believe it was the Holy Spirit's prompting as the title for today was, "School Days" and could not have been a sweeter encouragement!

Okay, so with all that out of the way :), it really was a good morning of school! I bought 4 bins (thanks to some suggestion I read somewhere) and, last week, put all the kids school work in each bin along with scissors, crayons, colored pencils, pencils, a ruler, paper, folder and journal. In other words, all they would need each day for school. It actually worked REALLY well...no one was searching for a pencil or asking for crayons and there were not books and papers all over the place as everything came out of and went back into the bin. Today, I had them decorate an index card with their name on it for the bin. I would highly recommend them, home schooling moms!

Samuel did really well...I started him with some pages working on his colors and then he joined Titus and Caleb to watch a "Leap Frog" DVD on the alphabet. After that, I had him work on tracing and writing the letter A. That was all for Samuel...but it took him a while, although he seemed to enjoy being apart of everything!

I have decided to bump Faith up a grade and so I am teaching 2nd grade to both Grace and Faith. I believe it will be a decision that benefits both girls and I was really pleased to see the way they were coming alongside each other today as they did the same school work!

Micah continues to be a hard worker...and fast!:) He is using "Rod and Staff" curriculum for English and I LOVE all the Bible emphasis!!! He truly does love the Word of God and it blessed my heart to see him get excited to have so much of it as part of his school work!

Titus and Caleb...well, on a positive note, they are playing together so much more and I love hearing them laugh and giggle together! The downside is that, in a 1300 square foot house, noise travels everywhere and I don't think they played one quiet game or activity all morning!:) I am going to have to think through some things for them to do that does not including driving and crashing cars all throughout the kitchen and dining room where we are working!:)

And, the newest members of our family, Fenway and Dugout are going to be spending the morning in the garage from here on out...or at least for a while! They knew we were just a few feet from them...what they did not understand is why we never picked them up..so they (or, should I say, one very loud Dugout)proceeded to cry and whine while I tried to teach. It's a good thing they finally fell asleep or there might have been a box on our front porch with the words "FREE" on it!:)

So, there you have it. A new school year has officially begun in the Pichura Household and so has yet one more opportunity for God to refine us, sanctify us and remind us all why we need Him every moment of every day! And how could I complain about that?!

Comments

Ruth said…
You are doing a GREAT job Kristin! (Sorry for the distraction yesterday too! It probably didn't help that I woke the puppies :( )

I got to thinking about your "joys" with Titus and Caleb...do you have any other home school parents with younger age children? Maybe you could do a "swap" for a couple of mornings a week. I also got to thinking that maybe they should learn to "sit" for an hour of "quiet reading or coloring." This could be the time when you do most of your "instructing." I'd then let the boys have a "recess & snack" (running and chasing games, loud noises being made, etc) and then put an "educational/younger" video/dvd on for them to watch or quietly interact with.

Just some suggestions...I'm sure you will get tons more from those who actually home school! You know I'd take them in a heartbeat, if I wasn't working at my school! :) I'm also serious when I say, I'd love to come and teach them music or arts and crafts after I'm done at work. You think about it and let me know! :)

Love you!
You are such an amazing woman and mommy! I am so glad to have those like you to go before me in this home schooling adventure! I love your suggestion of the bins... gonna have to get some of those! Hang in there... it's only 2 days in! You'll get into a groove! :)
Oh!... Great post, Kristin!---and YES!--thank you, always, for your transparency! Really, it's only then that others can really view God at work in our lives, which ultimately brings Him glory... :0)

With regard to homeschooling being very difficult at times, it's good to remember that the really important things in life & the things really worth having usually are the things that "don't come easy"... Think about it: completing a college degree, raising children, (homeschooling!), staying married, achieving any really big goal---all these things take lots of work under sometimes insanely stressful conditions!

But we know that persevering in what God has called us to do ultimately produces sweet fruit (and great blessing/ satisfaction!)...

Praying for ya, sister!!
For His Glory said…
Oh My!! What busyness!! I always say though that I can't imagine spending my days any other way!! Although there are some days I sure can, hee hee! Overall though. Loved the tote idea! So orderly my dear!