A Promise to Cling too!


"I have learned that my students are not going to learn a significant amount of what I teach. But, what they do learn is what I am most excited about."

I read this quote by D.A. Carson last week and it was one worth pondering because, the more I thought about it, it really was so true! His perspective is so important as we teach and train our kids...whether we home school or not! So much of what we teach them they are going to forget but there IS one thing that we teach them that has the promise of NOT returning void or empty or forgotten...and that is the Word of God!

"For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return there but water the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater,so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth;it shall not return to me empty,but it shall accomplish that which I purpose,and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it." Isaiah 55:10-11

Is that worth getting excited about or what! We have a guaranteed promise from the Lord that when His teaching is on our lips it will not return void...it will accomplish His purposes. There is nothing else we can teach that carries a promise like that!

Truths like that renew my mind,encourage my heart and give me a heavenward perspective that brings great joy to my soul and excitement to even the most menial of tasks. What a weight of responsibility we have in training our kids in the way of the Lord...but what a promise we have knowing that it WILL produce fruit, maybe not the kind of fruit we thought and maybe not even on the "tree" we were intending, but God uses God's Word to save and sanctify God's people and that is a precious promise to cling to and live by!

PS...and let's not forget that this same promise applies to our relationships with our husbands, friends, neighbors and...well you get the gist! :)

Comments

For His Glory said…
That was such a precious, beautiful reminder Kristin...And a timely encouragement to my own heart. I don't see how people can live without His life-giving Words!! I know I can't :)
Anonymous said…
I have enjoyed hearing about your first days of school.

I know this isn't going to be an easy year, but it will be memorable! Enjoy it.

I'll be praying.