Snapshots from the Weekend


So, I have to start with a disclaimer...my lack of posting for the last two days has nothing to do with two new puppies:)...really, they have added very little to my daily routine although they have shaken up Grace's routine quite a bit...amazingly, she seems to be loving it, no complaints yet from her...of course, there might be a small bit of concern on her part as to what she might lose if she complains.:)


On Friday, my husband (and brother) so graciously watched the kiddo's while I took off for 6 HOURS. It was the first time that I had the chance to get away by myself for a while since we have been home from Ethiopia. I had grand plans of sitting at a Starbucks and putting together a cleaning schedule as well as a homeschooling schedule and, in the end, I opted to simply SHOP away my birthday money!:) I also got a pedicure and manicure that my hubby got me for my birthday.

It was a needed break and I enjoyed being gone, enjoyed thinking and praying without interruption but I am also so thankful that my thoughts and prayers often turned home and, as good as it was to get away, it was just as good to be home!

Last night I cut Samuel's hair for the first time and, when he realized what I was going to do, he started sobbing and repeating the name of one of the older kids that had been at the orphanage and then at the care center with him ( he, along with 2 others are being adopted by a family in Montana and we can't wait for the opportunity to reunite them and visit!).From what I could gather, he was the last one who had cut Samuel's hair and I think he was just crushed that "one more thing" from all that he left behind was changing! It was his way of holding on to what he held dear. My heart ached for him but I knew there was nothing I could do, unless we were okay with one of our children having a serious "fro"!!!:)Praise the Lord, he had calmed down by the time we got to the bath and was all smiles after that! He does not always "rebound" so quickly, so I am thankful he did last night. And then, today, we were sent some more pictures of those same friends and he was so glad to see them!!!


The kids continue to plead (all the time!) for us to come out so they can ride their bikes, skateboards and scooters down the driveway into the street.
Even Titus is going down the driveway on his skateboard...I think I am more scared for him than he is!:)(and, no comments on Titus' shoe choice or how poorly Caleb's helmet is on his head at the moment of the picture!)


At church, we have been having a family Sunday school class and Bryan has been teaching using the material "The Righteous Shall Live by Faith" by Children Desiring God (John Piper's ministry). It is a study on the Ten Commandments and has been just wonderful!!!! The reason I mention it is because some of you have asked in the past about devotionals to do with your kids. I would HIGHLY recommend this one. While the Sunday School class has been great, you can do the book without it. If you are looking for a material that can be used whether your children are young or older and a family devotional that will challenge your own heart as well, order this! :)

Comments

Oh!! What cute toes, Kristin!!

I'm so glad you were able to get some time of "refreshing" by yourself(and yes, shopping the day away counts as refreshing!!!)---Truly, I've come to learn that it matters more where your mind (and heart)is at, above all else. Sounds like you had a great time...:0)

Praying for a great start of the "school year" for you and the kids! I know it's coming just around the corner...
For His Glory said…
Only Titus!! Oh and the toenails are wayyy cute (but I still don't trust those places!!) I pray you don't get a toe fungus ha ha! No really, what a blessing to get out like that! My hubby and I went out ALL DAY yesterday and it was soooo refreshing....