Following in my footsteps


I am nearing the end of my " The Duties of Parent's" book and, already, I can't wait to start it again next month. I am so thankful for the precious insight of J. C. Ryle in regards to raising our kiddos!

While we were on the beach taking a walk (is there anything more wonderful than taking a walk on the beach?!!!) Titus was walking behind me and exclaimed, "Look Mom, I am walking in your footprints". It was true in that moment and it really is true about life as a whole. Our kids are walking in our footsteps, following the example that we live out. J.C. Ryle says:

"Instruction, and advice, and commands will profit little, unless they are backed up by the pattern of your own life. Your children will never believe you are in earnest, and really wish them to obey you, so long as your actions contradict your counsel. Archbishop Tillotson made a wise remark when he said, "To give children good instruction, and a bad example, is but beckoning to them with the head to show them the way to heaven, while we take them by the hand and lead them in the way to hell."


In light of that heavy truth, I can't help but do some self examination of my life! Do I want them to follow in my footsteps in every area or are there areas that I find myself saying, if only in my head,"Do what I say and not what I do"? It's a sobering question to ask but what a beautiful opportunity to pray and ask the Lord to expose those areas in which I am living hypocritically.
I can't wait to be with Jesus in Heaven, to be made perfect and not struggle with sin on, what often seems like a moment by moment basis..but I am also so thankful, right now, for the Word of God, the wisdom of godly men and women and for the world God has made and all the incredible reminders He gives us to help us and encourage us in our sanctification process!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
You get the greatest family photos! I love the one with you and the boys.

Such good advice. I just ordered and received my "The Duties of Parents" and am looking forward to getting into it.
5 Cougs said…
Amen, sister! What a great reminder. Absolutely love the pics too! did someone take them for you?
I was just pondering these things the other day in prayer. I fall so short daily and how often I try to get up on my own. The Lord is so faithful to show me my need for him and pick me up.
Great picture idea:)
Heather Francis said…
the family pictures are amazing! and what a reminder about leaving our footprints
Jen L said…
Thanks for sharing. I have been struggling with that very thing myself. I have been working on writing out my testimony and part of that is how my parents led me by example - never preached to me. So I am struggling with what am I saying to my kids and then showing them the wrong example! I pray that I can do what my parents did for me! Sounds like you had a great time together as a family.
crystal said…
Kristin thank you for that post of truth and boy now I have to think the same thing now that its brought to my attention!thank you for your honesty as I to think the same thing " do what I say not what I do" thank you! love you
Unknown said…
Kristin,
Haven't visited in a while and was just hoping for a little inspiration and refocus - and that's just what I got! Thank you for sharing your stories and how you work each day to bring glory to our Father. I know so many of your struggles parallel mine, but I seem to loose focus and I am glad to be steared back Home.
He is so faithful to give me extra opportunities to be refined through this process and for that I am thankful!
Your family is just precious!
Blessings,
Leslee
For His Glory said…
OUCH! That was so needed Kristin! I always think of that verse Paul penned, "Imitate me as I imitate Christ"...Can I say this to my children?? I love that quote...I actually found a website (well not me, my girlfriend told me about) which sells this book for $2.50 and unlimited 3.99 shipping!!! So you can literally order $100 worth of books and still only pay 3.99 flat rate!! It's www.heritagebooks.org There are a ton of solid authors and books!! Piper, mahaney, puritans, and more!