It's only rated "G"


I was reminded again of the way in which I should "judge" a movie...especially when it comes to kid's movies. Just because it has a "G" rating does not mean that it's okay for our kids to watch. And, just because a movie may have an "R" rating does not necessarily mean that it is a movie that Bryan and I should not watch (although, that seems to be the case more often than not).

The point I am getting at is actually found in Isaiah 5:20:

"Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter."

So often, that is exactly what movies do...they display evil as good. A child does not get what he wants, so he disobeys and is rebellious and talks back and, in the end, it still goes well with him and he "wins the race", "gets the prize" or whatever else the end reward is...all without ever apologizing or repenting.

What message does that send to our kids? We read the Proverbs to them with all the "if/than"'s and then we turn around a let them watch "world after world" in which God's Word ends up being the liar, and sin is rewarded.

We parents fall into the same trap with the things we choose to watch, too....especially us ladies, if I am going to be really honest. We end up rooting for the affair because the husband is such a jerk...we find ourselves greatly enjoying the romance of a movie...even though much of it is wrapped around fornication. We are enjoying evil being seen as good whether we realize it or not!

Now, don't get me wrong...I am not going to go legalistic on you and tell you to ban movies from your home. One of my favorite things to do is pick up a movie and a 1/2 gallon of ice cream and cuddle up with my hubby...or to enjoy "family movie night" with the kids. I guess what I am trying to say (to myself as well!) is don't just get caught up in the rating...get caught up in the CONTENT before you rent a movie!

Someone clued me in to a great website of movie reviews put out by Focus on the Family called "Plugged In". I have been impressed with the information that has been given and have found them to be "right on" in their reviews while sticking mostly to the facts more than personal opinion. Thought some of you might appreciate their critiques as well!

I know this was an "off the wall" post (but it was something I was thinking about)...I can't wait to tell you about our weekend with our Ethiopian friends...still working on finishing that post...maybe tomorrow:)

Comments

Thank you for the reminder and for the web site.
For His Glory said…
Yes, I am so surprised how many "G" rated movies are based off of someone elses standard and we think it's "THE STANDARD", when really it's God's standards we need to be comparing to...Thanks for the website!
Matt5verse6 said…
Well said! I too love the Focus on the Family movie website. It goes into such detail and I for one really appreciate that!!!! It has been a HUGE blessing in seeing what's coming when a movie is brought into the house rather than being blindsided and having the Holy Spirit get way offended!