Thinking about the soul


Some of you have emailed me that you, too, are going to join me in reading "The Duties of Parents" by J.C. Ryle. Right now I am on encouragement 4..."Train with this thought continually before your eyes - that the soul of your child is the first thing to be considered".

I read this section, including the following paragraph and was reminded about the enormous responsibility we have to walk wisely and think Biblically in every area of our lives and our kids lives...everything we and they do has eternal ramifications:

A true Christian must be no slave to fashion, if he would train his child for heaven. He must not be content to do things merely because they are the custom of the world; to teach them and instruct them in certain ways, merely because it is usual; to allow them to read books of a questionable sort, merely because everybody else reads them; to let them form habits of a doubtful tendency, merely because they are the habits of the day. He must train with an eye to his children's souls. He must not be ashamed to hear his training called singular and strange. What if it is? The time is short -- the fashion of this world passeth away. He that has trained his children for heaven, rather than for earth -- for God, rather than for man -- he is the parent that will be called wise at last.


I think this stood out to me a little bit more as I am just finishing an amazing book (Womanly Dominion) by Mark Chanski...a book that I will spend more time talking about in the weeks to come...a book that goes against the "customs of the world"...many customs of which we as women have adopted without even realizing that they are the worlds but not Gods. A book that may even seem "singular and strange" to many church ladies...but a book that is so desperately needed in our circles.

Are you a little bit curious? If you do decide to pick it up and read it...you just might be mad at me forever...or you just might walk away changed forever!:)

Comments

Sandy said…
I don't know HOW this has happened... but I am first to comment...I confess that I have often been overwhelmed by the "meat" for the soul I often receive from your daily blogs, precious girl. To say that I am totally humbled by your writings (and those of Kim's and my other "daughters" Michelle and Kimiko) would be an understatement. I often prayed for all of you as you were all growing up that you all would go well-beyond your Daddy and I spiritually as a result of knowing Him at an earlier age and growing up in a Christian home. I am embarrassed to say that I never envisioned how the Lord's answer to that prayer would be answered so far beyond what I could have hoped for or dreamed of. "Oh ye(me) of little faith". It is SUCH a blessing to be a parent of children who love their Lord and desire to give Him first place in all things. I am in awe when I am with you and listening to the instruction from God's Word that I hear from you and Bryan constantly as you seek to discipline and shepherd your children's hearts. I am just so incredibly blessed to be all of you kids' Mom. I am in awe of God's work in each of your hearts and the hearts of those who read and comment. I know that there are many like me who read and do not comment, as well. I rejoice in the Lord, for He has done great things in all of our lives!!!
For His Glory said…
Um Okay I was about to comment, and then saw your mom's comment and got all teary eyed! That just totally encouraged my heart as a mom to think that my children might grow even wiser than what God's been gracious in revealing to me in His wisdom one day. Love the quote! The new book looks great, I think our heart's desire should be to know exactly what GOd desires of us even the hard stuff and the stuff we do not realize we've been sucked into, so thanks, I'll be looking into getting yet another book :)